Summer’s memory lives on

One year anniversary of a tragedy that struck the entire Henry County community.

Summer Lee and her bright smile enjoying the sun and the water at the beach. Today was the anniversary of her untimely death.

Photo courtesy of Ken Lee

Photo courtesy of Ken Lee

Mattie Cash, Staff Writer

Summer Ann Lee was just a few weeks into her final year as a Locust Grove Wildcat when she was killed in a horrific car accident.

Today is the one year memorial of Summer’s death. Throughout the community, her legacy still lives on and people honor her in many ways.

According to her parents, Kenny and Kimberly, Summer was very outgoing to strangers and would never fail to put a smile on your face.

“Everyday she was different. She was very versatile,” Kenny Lee said describing his daughter’s personality.

She was a member of the softball and tennis team at Locust Grove. She also loved photography. When she was not on the field or the court, she was found taking pictures of others.

She left behind her parents and loving family, but also a legacy to live life to the fullest because she believed in always expressing herself and not letting others determine your own happiness.

In honor of Summer, her parents founded the Always Summertime Foundation. A group of 5 people including her parents, Kenny and Kim, sold memory calendars and all of the money went towards a scholarship fund in Summer’s name to a group of 8 students who graduated in 2017. The students were asked to write a letter about how Summer impacted their everyday lives, which determined who would receive the scholarship.

“I miss her more than anyone could ever know, just the simple things; her voice, her smell, her spunky smart remarks,”  her father said.

The family encourages people to use  #alwayssummertime to keep her memory alive and her story known.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Summer’s memory lives on”

1. Kathy morris on August 20th, 2017 5:32 pm

Beautiful soul she was

[Reply]

2. Randy purl on August 20th, 2017 11:32 pm

I was a 9th grader at lghs when summer was a 10th grader and i had hodgkins lymphoma and was having a hard time going through my chemo round when nikki with caring for a cause invited me and my family to one of the coner burch ternment that they played and i was wondering how they even knew who i was or what i was going through and i was trying to figure out how nikki found out about me and i was talking to her about who told her who i was or anything and when she told me who told her she asked me if i knew a girl at school name summer lee i said yeah i have herd that name befor but i didnt really talk to her nikki said it was summer who told her about me and i was trying to talk to summer and thank her for everything and talking to nikki about me but i found out later then i wanted and now i just wish everyone could just see and talk to her again..💙💙

[Reply]

• Summer’s memory lives on

Features

Sgt. Byron Wrenn leaves Ola to pursue a coaching dream in Japan

• Summer’s memory lives on

News

Teachers and administrators welcome students and parents

• Summer’s memory lives on

Features

Patrons prepare to be buttered up

• Opinions

Top Five Father’s Day DIYs

• Summer’s memory lives on

Features

Graduates begin their next chapter in their lives

• Summer’s memory lives on

Features

Students and staff receive rude awakening

• Summer’s memory lives on

Features

Anomaly occurs during OHS blood drive

• Summer’s memory lives on

Students and staffers send off their running Mustangs

• Summer’s memory lives on

Features

Homecoming Brings Ola Together

• Features

What does Ola want to be when we grow up?