Chick-Fil-A holds a drumline battle

Two rival school drumlines battle for the start of CFA Spirit Week

OHS drumline battling out with LGHS. Manson, band director of OHS, lead the group by telling them what to play.

Emma Barfield, Staff Writer

The sounds of drums filled the air on Monday, October 9th, as Chick-fil-a Lake Dow hosted the drumline battle between Locust Grove and Ola. Both drumlines were performing for their hearts out to the large crowd that came out to support these two drumlines.

“It was pretty fun [and] pretty awesome seeing Ola play,” Sarah, Locust Grove drumline member, said.

Chick-fil-a hosted these two rival schools as a way to let off some steam before the big game on Friday. Because the two schools are close in proximity, any competition can become important.

“It’s pretty cool that we can be rivals in more than just football. I feel like this drumline battle is preparing us and getting us ready for the big game,” Paul Lara, senior at OHS, said.

Although these two rival drumlines faced off, they also had the opportunity interact by playing simultaneously before socializing afterward. This was a learning experience for both groups and a great way to meet new people with the same interest, percussion.

“Locust Grove had a lot to bring to the table, [they] were well prepared, and they have a talented line,” Alex Torres, sophomore in the OHS drumline, said.

Both groups performed different varieties of pieces and technique, Ola also played some music from their 2017 competitive show, “The Last Train Home”Locust Grove showed off their warm-ups, stand tunes, and cadences. The front ensemble plays a big part in their competitive show, resulting in the drumline not playing any show music at the drumline battle.

“It was a lot of fun [and] it was great, I enjoyed hearing the students play. I always love seeing Ola,” Mrs. Miller, band director of LGHS, said.

The goal for this drumline battle was to bring together both schools and share the love for drumline and music as a whole. Although these two schools are one of the biggest rivals, they share the same interests and hobbies, which brought them together. Chick-Fil-A will be calculating the receipts on Friday to determine who won the CFA Spirit Week Challenge. First place winner will receive 1,000 dollars, while the second place winner receives 500 dollars.