The end is near for the Mustangs

Mustangs+are+getting+ready+for+the+play.+This+was+the+second+play+of+the+third+quarter.+

The end is near for the Mustangs

Mustangs are getting ready for the play. This was the second play of the third quarter.

Bronlyn Holland

Bronlyn Holland

Bronlyn Holland

Bronlyn Holland, Sports Editor

On Friday, Oct. 20, the Mustangs battled it out against the Jones County Greyhounds in their last home game of the season, which hosted senior night. The community came out and supported the seniors and their families as they were recognized on the field prior to the game. The Mustangs fell to Jones County with a final of 37-7.

Seniors on the football, cheer and cross country teams were recognized, as well as band members. It was a bittersweet night for the seniors who played their hearts out on the field.

“It hurts. I’m going to miss it here, but you know I fell like we came out and played hard, ” Chris Rodriguez, senior, said. Rodriguez is the running back for the Mustangs.

During the second quarter, Rodriguez made the first and only touchdown of the night. Throughout the game, first downs were made by Ashton Sandy, senior, Jordan Cooper, junior, Joseph Miller, junior, Dillon Scott, sophomore, and Rodriguez.

“It was fun to watch those guys play coming up the last couple of years and they really played hard. [Ashton] Sandy played awesome. He was in several tackles. Chris really you know put the offense on his back and carried some good plays even when we didn’t block well, ” Jay Nelson, offensive line coach, said.

It was a tough game for the Mustangs, but they left their all on the field.

“I told my teammates ‘never stop just keep going’. We were down last year in the playoffs, 35-7 and look we came back 28- 35 last year,so keep going. Don’t doubt yourself, ” Logan Powell, senior, said. Powell is the middle line backer and the tight end for the Mustangs.

With the challenging situations the team had to face, including a potential 10 point turnaround with a field goal blocked by the Greyhounds, the team still kept their spirits up for the duration of the game. Sadness still lingered in the air.

“I’m really sad. I’m sad for the guys. We had a lot of expectations for this season and you just never would’ve thought that you would be losing.I think this was our third or fourth loss,” Greg McGaha, team chaplain, said.

Even though there are only two games left in the season, the last home game for the boys was special to their hearts. The team has became a family and some of the seniors have been playing football together since seventh grade. They became a family and hopes to see or keep in touch with each other after high school.

“Good luck. Hopefully, I see some of them playing against me, ” Rodriguez said.

To advance to the state playoffs for the second time in Mustang history, the team must win the next two games. The Mustangs will be back in action against the Wolverines at Union Grove High School at 7:30 pm.

About the Writer
Bronlyn Holland, Editor in Chief

Bronlyn Holland, a well-organized and kind-hearted senior of many talents, enters her fourth and final year of High School here at Ola. Holland has concluded...