Ola mixes it up at lunch

On Oct. 31, students will be challenged to escape their comfort zone and engage with someone new over lunch.

Mix+it+up+day+is+scheduled+for+October+31st.+Counselors+have+been+planning+for+this+day+and+are+excited+for+students+to+branch+out.+
Mix it up day is scheduled for October 31st. Counselors have been planning for this day and are excited for students to branch out.

Zaida Maples

Zaida Maples

Zaida Maples, Staff Writer

Mix It Up is a National campaign that encourages students to sit with someone new and make new friends over lunch.

“Schools have been doing it for a few years now, I don’t think anyone in the county has done it, so we thought it would be a good idea to try it here. More so since Ola is a diverse school,” Partee, counselor, said.

SGA and the counseling department are the pushing forces behind the movement.

“Mix it up is about trying to get students to look outside of their comfort zone to reach other friend groups or other cliques because so many times, we get tunnel vision and don’t really put ourselves in someone’s else’s shoes,” Waiting, counselor, said.

The counselors are hoping to get the image in the heads of students that everyone is the same in some way, and by reaching out, similarities among students will come to the surface.

“We all have so much in common, so it would be awesome to just at least go and talk to somebody and determine how similar we are,” Partee said.

While hoping for total participation, the counselors will be happy even if a single heart is touched or friendship is made on Mix it up day.

“Even if there is 1 or 2 kids that participate, at least somebody had an opportunity to talk to somebody outside of who they would normally talk to,” Partee said.

Moving to sit with someone new during lunch sounds scary for some, and is not mandatory on Mix it up day. However, students typically will not keep the same friends after high school, and should be used to the idea of branching out to meet new people and make new friends.

“I think not all but a good number of students are just happy being comfortable in their little group, and don’t want to reach out past it,” Waiting said.

Mix it up day leads up to kindness week and the counselors hope to bring this day back in the years to come.

“The main goal is to bring about awareness. Just to help students see outside themselves, and how we should accept others, no matter what walk of life they come from or what group they belong to,” Waiting said.

The message behind Mix it up day is to show students how similar they really are to other people that they never would have even considered starting a conversation with.

“Growing up, I wasn’t really exposed to different races until I got to college, and if I had an opportunity to do something like this when I was younger, I definitely would have taken advantage,” Partee said.