The cross-country boys team runs to State

The cross-country heads to State with 12 of their fastest runners.

Maria Adams, Staff Writer

In the regional cross-country race, the boys team was able to place third, which brought them to State. The girls team placed fifth in regions, but they finished strong with personal records to a decent proportion of the team. Only the four top teams are able to go to State, but the top six runners are able to go by themselves. Torrance McGee, coach, plans to have varsity girls go State, and he wants to do this through rigorous training and positive attitude. Caroline Barwick,  freshman and junior varsity runner, believes the girls will get more personal records and go to State

Samuel Brown, sophomore , hopes to break the school five kilometers record of 16:50 minutes, set by Deonte Lee, alumni, was another cross-country runner.

“…my top time was 17[minutes] flat,” Brown said. He has started his first year running cross-country with an impressive start, and Brown has been practicing since mid-summer to achieve his times.

“Deonte set almost all long-distance records for our school,” McGee said.

McGee believes that Bo Benan, Peter Nelson, and Brown have the chance and the talent to break the records. The boys team needs to break records to have place well in State.

“Going to State is amazing for the boys, even if we can’t go,” Barwick said.

She went to the send off and supported the boys in their accomplishment.

The breakfast send off was a booster for the team, and Hope Nelson-Pepe, Nelson’s mother, wanted to support her son’s team by providing food with them. The team thanked her for their breakfast and the time she spent working on it.

Gidget Gue, athletic director, also wished the team well. She sent them off with the support of the school. The team was cheered on by the students during lunch lunches in the commons. 

“Our team will do good…we practice a lot,” Brown said.

He waits for the State meet to see if he can make a personal record. The other members of the team, who did not go to State, are waiting for the news of the fellow athletes.

Boys cross-country team celebrate before they head to State. They are overjoyed about their victory in regions.

Cross-country team breakfast is a social event with supporting words being said to the 12 runners going to State. Nelson set-up a breakfast for the team.