Snips of Broadway make their way to Ola

Bronlyn Holland, Sports and Health Editor

On January 22, the Choral Department performed their fourth annual Ola Over Broadway at the Henry County Performing Arts Center. This production was directed by Choir director Mindy Martin and was cast by choir students from many of the classes. They performed “The Battle of Yorktown” from Hamilton, “Seize the Day” from Newsies, “Stronger” from Finding Neverland and many more songs from hit Broadway shows.

The Choral Department showcased their talents with a packed house filled with the Ola community. Alex Barlowe, alumni, decided to come back to his high school days and help video the production. It was a sweet moment to see Barlowe come back from college and help out.

Before the production went underway, Taylor Daniel, senior, began his monologue as the MC for his final time for Ola Over Broadway and passed down his mic to Luke Walker, sophomore, to take over for the next two years. It was a bittersweet moment for these spontaneous guys to share the stage.  They interacted with the audience to share a laugh with them.

Jared Brooks, sophomore, and Bryce White, senior, started the performance by discussing how they would create a play but known as a “musical” where people break out into song and dance in a middle of a sentence. This led into the opening scene with all of the choir students singing “A Musical” from Something Rotten. It was interesting to see how many students put time and effort into this production and we were only in the first scene.

The Choral department dedicated “America” from West Side Story to the victims of the hurricane in Puerto Rico. This song was led by seniors Savannah Simpson and Christina Faglier. That was very special of the cast to dedicate that song to them.

Throughout the production, there were some sound issues where the music was overpowering the microphones while some students were performing their part, but it did not stop the show from being great. Students practiced their hardest to put on such a wonderful show to showcase their talents.

At the end of the production, Martin conducted the choir for their performance of The Lion King, which included “The Circle of Life”, “I Just Can’t Wait to be King” and more. Special guest percussionists, guitarists, pianists and synthesizers joined the students for the finale, which resulted in a standing ovation from the audience.

Everyone involved with this production made this performance amazing. Next year will definitely have to top this production. The seniors will be dearly missed, but the juniors and others will have big shoes to fill.

About the Writer
Bronlyn Holland, Editor in Chief
Bronlyn Holland, a well-organized and kind-hearted senior of many talents. Entering her fourth and final year of High School here at Ola, Holland has concluded to make this her most intriguing year yet. Along with playing golf for Ola High School since her 9th grade year, Holland happens to also be an Ola High School...