Lacrosse team sticks up with big numbers

The number of girls interested in playing lacrosse tripled in size since the program originated.

The+Lacrosse+team+celebrating+their+first+win+against+Woodland.+The+girls+begin+playing+Henry+County+schools+this+weekend.+

The Lacrosse team celebrating their first win against Woodland. The girls begin playing Henry County schools this weekend.

Mattie Cash, Staff Writer

There has been a major increase in the popularity of Lacrosse over the last three years, not only at Ola but across the state of Georgia. The team this year does have fewer players than last year, but there is still a major increase than the first year. The first year the team only had 11 girls, last year there were 32 girls, and this year the team consists of 30 girls.

“This year is going a lot smoother compared to last year, there is different challenges but it’s better,” Jessica Stephens, assistant coach,  said.

Brianna Barnett, sophomore, joined the team as a way to get involved with a school sport and make new friends and she loves it.

“It’s not that hard to do, and since there are not that many people who play lacrosse around here you can get college scholarships easier than say a softball player,” Barnett said

The sport is also cheap to get into, and only requires players to have a stick and the school only needs a football field.

The team only won one game their first year, three to four their second and now, with it being the third year of the program, they are hoping to come out with nine to ten wins at the end of this season.

The main difference between this year and the first year of the program is the fact that there is a junior varsity as well as a varsity team.

“Last year the varsity team consisted of mainly seniors who had only one year of experience under their belt and this year, we have mainly sophomores who have two-three years under their belt,” Stephens said

The team conditioned throughout the year so they would be in the best shape for the season beginning in late February.

Since lacrosse is newer around Ola, more people want to try it out and be a part of something different.

“It’s more popular because people want to try it and it’s new here anyway,” Barnett said

This year the team wants to be the best in Henry County at the end of the season and only loose 3 to 4 games this whole season.

About the Writer
Mattie Cash, Staff Writer

My name is Mattie Cash. I am 15 years and and a sophomore at Ola High School. This is my first year being involved in the Hoof Print newspaper and am so...