Mustangs strike out Union Grove at Suntrust

Mustangs won 5-1 against the Wolverines.

Bronlyn Holland, Sports Editor

Noah Norman, senior, takes off to first base. Norman made it to second base.

Mustangs struck out the Union Grove Wolverines with a win of 5-1 at Suntrust Park on Friday, April 6th. This was the first time in Ola Baseball history to play in a professional stadium.

“I don’t think you can describe it… These kids dream about playing in a place like this and to be able to do it and their parents that got behind them to make it a reality for them is awesome,”Micheal Edwards, head coach, said.

It was a dream for the players to be able to play in a professional stadium

“It feels amazing. It’s always been a dream of mine to play in a major league ballpark. It’s just overwhelming a little bit,” Patrick Holloman, sophomore, said.

Mustangs also made history by sweeping Union Grove for the first time in school history.

“We’ve never swept them that I can recall in the history of the school, so to beat them three times in the same year is the icing on the cake,” Edwards said.

At the beginning of the game, it was a slow start until the Mustangs gained two runs in the third inning, but that did not slow down the mindset of the players.

“It was a great experience. I had a great time with my teammates. We’ve been looking forward to this since the start of the year. We had a good time,” Jack Witmer, sophomore, said.

Bases were loaded almost the whole time the Mustangs were up for bat. Adding to the celebration, Holloman scored a home run. Not only was this a home run, it was a home run in Suntrust Park.

“It was a dream of a lifetime. I’ve always dreamed of playing on a major league field, but hitting a home run on it just crushed it,” Holloman said.

Not only was Holloman proud, but also Edwards.

“It’s electric. Speechless, I don’t know what to say it’s awesome. To be able to get a ball like that in this kind of atmosphere is… great,” Edwards said.

While Austin Doer, junior, pitched in the third inning, Matthew Mamattas, senior, Tatum Sullivan, junior, and Baylen Sanders, sophomore, turned a 4-6-3 double play. Cason Barnett, junior, made a RBI stand up double in the sixth inning.

Mustangs kept the Wolverines on their toes through all seven innings, but with only three games left until the state playoffs, the team still has small improvements to make.

“Squaring the baseball up and hitting the ball hard,”Bryan Dixon,assistant pitching coach, said.

Throughout the season, the Mustangs stayed strong with a record of 22-4 and only three games left.

“Beating Union Grove is definitely great, especially when you beat them three times, even if it’s for the seniors. We’ve been talking this year and won a region championship. We still got Locust Grove to beat though,” Witmer said.

The Mustangs will be back in action on April 17th at 5:55pm at Locust Grove High School against the Wildcats.

About the Writer
Bronlyn Holland, Editor in Chief
Bronlyn Holland, a well-organized and kind-hearted senior of many talents. Entering her fourth and final year of High School here at Ola, Holland has concluded to make this her most intriguing year yet. Along with playing golf for Ola High School since her 9th grade year, Holland happens to also be an Ola High School...