6 tips to take on Geranium Festival

The 41st annual Geranium Festival is set to take place this Saturday.

Crowds gather around booths at the Geranium Festival. It's hard to believe was once an event with only 17 booths.

Photo Courtesy of the Henry County Lions Club.

Crowds gather around booths at the Geranium Festival. It’s hard to believe was once an event with only 17 booths.

Taylor Watkins, Editor-in-Chief

The history of the Geranium Festival goes back to 1977 when it was only 17 booths, yet last year for it’s 40th university, 25,000 people were expected to attend.

The crowds and traffic can be a bit overwhelming, so here’s a few tips to survive the day:

1. Check the weather. On Saturday the forecast is rain, yet according to the Geranium Festival site the show will go on rain or shine so people are advised to bring an umbrella.
  2. The square closes on 12:01 am Saturday, this mean that if you’re not attending the festival the square is a place to avoid. If you are going, the event starts at 9 and parking goes fast.
  3. Transportation from Henry County High School to the square will be available and handicap parking is available at the courthouse for those wheelchair bound.
  4. Wear comfy shoes. It’ll be a long day of walking.
  5. If you take photos use #GeraniumFestival2018 to join the social wall.
  6. If you’re looking for a tasty treat, my all time favorite place is The Donut Man right outside the courthouse. They sell donut holes plain, powdered, or with cinnamon sugar as well as coffee.

The geranium festival is the main fundraiser for the Henry County Lions Club.

“It’s a lot of work, but the money we rause goes back to the community,” Rate Reed, Lions Club Member, said.

More information as well as a complete list of all vendors and their location can be found at geraniumfesitival.com.