Jabang scores in the big league

Jabang plays on Atlanta United, but he hopes to play with the Blue Devils.

Maria Adams, Copy Editor

Ousman Jabang, junior, has played soccer since he was young. He plays for Atlanta United U17, an international team, and he joined in the summer of 2017.

Jabang plays midfield position, and he enjoys helping defense and offense. Jabang was a midfielder on the AFC Lightning 01 Boys Gold team during the 2016/2017 season before he began to participate in Atlanta United’s Soccer Development Partner Program.

“You usually don’t see tall people. They are just not that fast…not enough of mobility,” Jabang said. He has worked for many years, and eight different coaches have taught him better techniques, which have helped improve natural talent.

Besides soccer, Jabang takes great joy in reading, particularly nonfiction, and recently read a biography about President Obama. Jabang currently takes AP English Language and Composition, which puts his love of reading to strategic use, since the class requires serious reading and writing skills. Jabang does the majority of his homework while driving to practice. He has discovered that it is necessary if to do well in school. Jabang plans on going to an Ivy League school, so he needs to well-rounded.

Jabang hopes to attend Duke University, an NCAA 1 school, to participate in their soccer team, the Blue Devils, a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

“I want to understand the injuries,” Jabang said. Jabang would like to become a professional soccer player, but Jabang is planning to look into sports therapy.

Student-athletes focus not only on sports and studies, but they also have active family lives. These athletes are people, not just jocks. 

Jabang also has a younger brother with autism, nicknamed Buba.

“He [Buba] just not into it,” said Jabang. Even though the brothers do not share the love of soccer equally, Buba and Jabang have a strong brotherly bond.

Jabang’s father played soccer as a younger man and mentored Jabang throughout life. His dad helped build his confidence and skills as a young child preparing him for the world. Jabang and his family cooperate to fit in Jabang’s hectic schedule and family life.

Jabang will have playoffs during June, in San Diego, Calif.

Jabang and his coach work with AFC Lightning to prepare Jabang for a future in athletics. Jabang played for most of his life, and he has planned to continue to play.

About the Writer
Maria Adams, Copy Editor

Animated, neighborly, and resourceful, Maria Adams, junior, is one of the girls you do not want to miss meeting. Born on Dec. 20, 2001, into a moving military...