For Better or Worse?

The scrimmage ends with a win, which hopefully leads the Mustangs to a winning season.

The coach congratulates the players after a well-fought and well-earned game. Leaving the field with their heads held high, the Mustangs were proud of their performance due to hard work and determination.

Trenton Hill, Sports Editor

Returning to the football field once again, Ola’s Mighty Mustangs kicked off the year with a bang, hosting the Spalding Jaguars on Aug. 10 for their annual scrimmage game. Exiting the locker room, the Mustangs entered the field with a high level of intensity.

Things got off to a quick start as the Mustangs pushed the ball downfield with their run game, leading to a touchdown off of a run play by your very own quarterback. Although the Mustangs put up the first seven points with ease, Spalding came right back with a quick touchdown to counter that of Ola’s, leveling the game out to a 7-7 tie with close to seven minutes left in the first quarter.

As the game progressed, things began to get a little more interesting as the Mustangs and Jaguars hit a new level of physicality. Once the Mustangs regained possession, they hit the ground running by gaining a large number of yards to set them up in a good position to score, only to fumble the ball due to the increased effort of the Jaguars’ defense. Luckily, the Mustangs were able to retain possession, capitalizing on the missed opportunity by the Jaguars and scoring yet another touchdown in the first.

Things began to get a little chippy out on the field due to the number of missed opportunities, turnovers, and flags caused by both teams. Narrowing down on a close game, spectators could see just how important this game was to the coaching staff and the players as they huddled up to talk about how they could make the best decisions on the field and how they could work towards avoiding simple mistakes as the game advanced. Fighting to get rid of those little mistakes that were made on the field, the Mustangs were able to pull through, scoring the final touchdown to seal the deal in a 28-21 victory over Spalding.

Although the Mustangs left the field victorious, there were still minor things and tweaks that needed to be made to better perfect the team as a whole, ensuring that the Mustangs come out on top for every game once the real season begins.

About the Writer
Trenton Hill, Writer

Photographer and writer, Trenton Hill ends his high school career as being a first year staff member on the publication. Hill transferred from Morrow High...