The Book Mark: The real tea on “The Hate U Give”

Angie Thomas shows social injustice in powerful ways, and readers will not be able to forget this powerful young woman.

I read to see the world from a different point-of-view. Jason Reynolds and John Green agreed that this novel

I read to see the world from a different point-of-view. Jason Reynolds and John Green agreed that this novel "will be remembered as a classic of our time” and "isn’t a literary trend... an issue of our time".

Ashley Wilhelm

Ashley Wilhelm

Maria Adams, Copy Editor

Angie Thomas, the author of  “The Hate U Give”, participates in the conversation of modern racism. Thomas incorporates hard truths with a good mixture of fiction.

As a lover of books I like to expand my horizons, so a novel that reveals social injustice spoke to me. Many books tell the same old story over and over, but this book is a modern “How to kill a Mockingbird”.

Starr Carter, the main character, attends a primarily white private school, and her peers assume that she is cool because of her darker skin color. On the other hand, her home life feels broken and disconnected, since she rarely talks to her childhood friends and neighbors. Her best friends’ death, one by a drive-by and another by a cop, force her to make a tough decision about what she needs to do.

“I can’t change where I come from or what I’ve been through, so why should I be ashamed of what makes me, me?” Thomas wrote. High school students tend to change who they are to fit in, but what makes us human is our differences.

The book made me think about many things besides race relations that were eye-opening. Beginning with majorities and minorities in education, feelings/opinions and family connections. The novel offers more than a different side of the tracks as Thomas reveals social injustice in a young-adult fiction novel which gives a mixture of truths and wishful thinking.

Though I feel that some parts of the novel are slow, I still think “The Hate U Give” tells a heart-wrenching, fascinating story. I stand by the fact that we need to be more informed about issues around us, even if the issue does not apply to us.

Readers can find “The Hate U Give” in Ola High Media Center, and anyone with the urge to broaden their horizons should open this epic page-turner.

I read to see the world from a different point-of-view. Jason Reynolds and John Green agreed that this novel “will be remembered as a classic of our time” and “isn’t a literary trend… an issue of our time”.

About the Contributors
Maria Adams, Copy Editor
Animated, neighborly, and resourceful, Maria Adams, junior, is one of the girls you do not want to miss meeting. Born on Dec. 20, 2001, into a moving military family, Adams never stayed in one place for very long; until she moved to Georgia. Coming out of city life to country life Adams found some concepts...
Ashley Wilhelm, Managing Editor
Ashley Wilhelm, junior, holds the position of Managing Editor of the Hoof Print. Wilhelm holds a passion for writing and a love for literature. Friends describe her as funny and hard working, but there is so much more to her. Other than writing, she loves to listen to music, cuddle with her cat Stormy, and...