The Book Mark: To All The Books I’ve Hated Before

I believe the book had potential for some people, but for me it was not the best of books. I would rate the book a 2/5.

%22To+All+The+Boys+I%27ve+Loved+Before%22+deals+with+high+school+romance.+The+author%27s+style+reflected+other+young+adult+writer+including+Sarah+Dessen+and+Kasie+West.+

"To All The Boys I've Loved Before" deals with high school romance. The author's style reflected other young adult writer including Sarah Dessen and Kasie West.

Ashley Wilhelm

Ashley Wilhelm

Maria Adams, Copy Editor

I take it back “Old Man in the Sea,” you could never be as boring as “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.” Please forgive my cruel words to Bella, from the “Twilight” series, you were not as pathetic as Lara Jean, main character and narrator. I apologize to all the books I ever hated.

The author, Jenny Han, lacked creativity and an exciting plot. The characters’ personalities were predictable and static. The interesting part of Laura Jean’s character was her ethnicity, Korean, and I wish Han dug deeper into the emotions and life of having mixed heritage, of being different.

The book was a quick read and seemed to be over before it began. After 400 pages of torture, I thought the book might be banned from libraries; however, a decent movie was made. Many book lovers know that book is always better, but this movie was the biggest competition to that truth.

The novel was simply slow, expected, and dramatic, and I am not sure why a movie was made. You had all the expectations for romance with Josh after the second chapter, but “Prince Charming” appeared, Peter Kavinsky. Kavinsky was too perfect to be real with a perfect body, grades, and personality. The only flaw was overconfidence, but I would be too if I was him.

Kitty, a mischievous middle-schooler, was the only character that caught my interest. The rest in comparison acted so pitifully that I could not feel sorry.

I do know that this book had more depth in comparison to others in high school romance. Some are just cheesy with two star-crossed lovers, but this book was overly dramatic in feelings. High-schoolers are simplistic beings; we tend to be in love with food and fun.

If you are looking for a feel-good romance this book might be a good fit for you; however, those looking for a novel with character and a deep meaning will need to look elsewhere.

Ashley Wilhelm
“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” deals with high school romance. The author’s style reflected other young adult writer including Sarah Dessen and Kasie West.

About the Contributors
Maria Adams, Copy Editor

Animated, neighborly, and resourceful, Maria Adams, junior, is one of the girls you do not want to miss meeting. Born on Dec. 20, 2001, into a moving military family, Adams never stayed in one place for very long; until she moved to Georgia. Coming out of city life to country life Adams found some concepts quite strange but easily made friends anyway. From reading to cross country to solving any math problem you throw at her. Adams’ busy schedule always has time for goofing around with her friends, but you can guarantee that Adams will put 210% into everything.

Ashley Wilhelm, Managing Editor

Ashley Wilhelm, junior, holds the position of Managing Editor of the Hoof Print. Wilhelm holds a passion for writing and a love for literature. Friends describe her as funny and hard working, but there is so much more to her. Other than writing, she loves to listen to music, cuddle with her cat Stormy, and play lacrosse. Wilhelm looks forward to growing as a writer this school year and the future she hopes to work in the literary field.