The Mustangs take on Whitewater

Jared Zito, head coach, and the rest of the coaching staff calls shots from the sidelines. With the information given from the coaching staff, the Mustangs were able to capitalize on the crippled defense of the Wildcats.

Trenton Hill and Errol McLean

The Mustangs went head-to-head with the Whitewater Wildcats on Friday, Aug. 31.The official kickoff time was 7:30 p.m. and the Wildcats were on the receiving end.

The Wildcats wasted no time getting the ball downfield, leading to the first points of the game with only 10:01 minutes remaining in the first quarter. Although the Wildcats did not manage to score a touchdown on their first possession, they were able to make a run to score a field goal. The first quarter ended 3-0 in their favor.

As the second quarter approached, the Mustangs’ defense began to click as a unit, forcing the Wildcats to punt. Once the ball was snapped, Jake Hall, freshman, slithered his way through the Wildcat offense and blocked the punt which was scored by Quentin Willis, senior.

Time went on in the second quarter and the Mustangs were able to gain possession of the ball again, but things did not go as planned. The ball was hiked, and the Mustangs fumbled the ball. This led to a touchdown by the Wildcats. The score was 10-7 at the end of the first half.

By the third quarter, the game was too close to determine who would win but that began to change as the Mustangs managed to hold the Wildcats to two field goals while scoring two touchdowns in return. Kas Stephens, junior, intercepted the Wildcats.

In the fourth quarter, the Mustangs were looking confident.  Wildcats suffered from injuries that left them vulnerable. Karl Kennedy, junior,  scored two touchdowns which defeated any possibilities of the Wildcat making a comeback.

Late in the fourth quarter, the score was 13-28, but the Mustang went the extra mile making yet another touchdown. 13-35, in the Mustang’s favor, secured another win for the 2018-19 season.

Mustangs will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 7 at Dutchtown High School.