Filed under News

Freshmen experience homecoming week

Hayley Sweatman, freshman, represents Ola with her friends for green and gold day. Sweatman thinks it is important to participate in homecoming because it shows school spirit and is a good way to get involved

Ashley Edwards

Ashley Edwards

With the class of 2022 experiencing high school for the first time, most are excited to be in a new place with new freedoms and to be fully immersed in traditions like Homecoming.

Shelby Kovzel, freshman, is enjoying her time at the high school far more than she did at the middle school. Like a lot of other freshmen, she enjoys having a lot of independence at OHS and is having a blast with homecoming week.

“Everybody takes it more serious here. Homecoming is a bigger deal here than at the middle school. When you’re in middle school you don’t get to go the the homecoming dance, you just get to dress up for the game,” Kovzel said.

However, after years of waiting, freshman finally get to participate and go to the dance. Makalah King, freshman, is excited about being in high school because she gets the chance to be more mature and because she can be apart of the dance this year.

“I’m really looking forward to going to the dance, I wasn’t planning on dressing for some of the days, but I’m really looking forward to going there because I get to be with all my friends and dance,” King said.

She likes how hyped up homecoming week is with dressing up because it gives everyone a sense of individuality.

It’s [homecoming in high school] more fun and it gives everyone a chance to be themselves,” King said.

For some freshmen,  homecoming week is just a way for them to watch the showcase of students dressed up for fun. For Colson Sims and John Perry Baucum, freshmen, character day is their favorite because it joys them to see their peer’s dressed up in creative costumes.

“Character day is my favorite day, I didn’t dress up, but it’s fun seeing a lot of people dress up,” Sims said.

Baucum loves how big of a deal some students take homecoming in high school rather than at the middle school.

“We didn’t really have a homecoming in middle school, it [homecoming] just feels more special here,” Baucum said.

As freshmen get used to the transition, they also get to see how homecoming is far different here from the middle school. Now that they know the ropes, they can see what they need to do next year to make homecoming week their own.

About the Contributor
Ashley Edwards, Photo Editor

Ashley Edwards, a dedicated third-year journalist, was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on August 20, 2002. She started as a Marching Band Nerd but now resides as a Band Groupie.  As a 15-year-old with an upcoming birthday, she is prepared to drive as a helpful outlet for her parents, since she and her siblings always keep them busy; however, her many friends keep her even busier. One of her friends Emma Barfield describes her as hilarious, carting, and genuine. They like to dance, make up funny skits, and call each other “Baljeet”. Edwards has always been involved in the school and that is shown in her running. She currently can be seen running on both the track and cross-country team.