Beta strives for excellence.

Hope Mathews, sophomore, listens to what Rebecca Young, Beta sponsor, has to say about the organization. Young has been the Beta sponsor for 10 years and loves to open each year with a bang.

Bronlyn Holland

Bronlyn Holland

Isabella Chapman, Staff Writer

As Rebecca Young, Beta Sponsor, starts up Beta club this year, many students are left wondering why they should join Beta.

”[Beta is] Somewhere where you learn leadership, learn how to help people who aren’t just yourself, and help other people by making money for them,” Kassidy Young, freshman, said.     

Beta is more than a scholarship, it’s a way to help the community and show leadership in everyone’s abilities to be socially active. K. Young’s mom is the Beta sponsor.

“I think she just does a really good job with it and inspires a lot of people to go and do other things and participate in the community,” K. Young said.

Students have been able to see a clearer picture about what they are serving for rather than for who. Beta is for people who want to make a change in the community rather than sitting back and doing nothing.

“The concept of community services and charity is probably one of our main goals, so we try to encourage students to give of themselves to others,” R. Young said.

Getting these students to put themselves out in the community, helps her to focus on leadership and community.

Students can participate in projects that positively influence the community, and help others. R. Young wants students to see the bigger picture of what they are apart of by helping the community.

Katie Williams, freshman, is a hard-working student who wants to help the community.

“I always thought that a ‘Beta kid’ is a smart and intelligent person who really loves to help out people. Being someone who is going into Beta, I look at it as someone who is well on task and well focused,” Williams said.

Williams never understood what being in Beta meant until she went to the first meeting. Being in Beta is a lot more than what she thought it was going to be.

About the Writer
Isabella Chapman, Writer

A young woman who loves color guard, dancing, writing, and spending time with friends is known as Isabella Chapman, freshman. She tends to light up a room the moment she walks in. “She’s got a very loud personality and a very loud voice as well. She’s confident about a lot of stuff, and she never leaves your side,” Lana Hardy, freshman, said. Chapman looks forward to her first year of journalism and growing in her writing techniques.  Having a fiery heart for working hard, she hopes to prove her father wrong when he told her: “ You can never do everything that you want to.” Other than wanting to break the limits her dad set before her, she also is involved in Partner’s club, drama, and hopes to join mock trial. Chapman is excited about the adventures that she has just begun.