The Mustangs have their hooves in Tartuffe

Payton DiSario, Copy Editor

Payton DiSario
The cast of “Tartuffe” rehearse moving around in their unique costumes. Many hours of work went into creating the hoop skirts used.

A classic story of laughter, deceit, hypocrisy and a rhyme scheme difficult not to love, “Tartuffe” is one experience that can not be missed. This year, Ola’s drama department is taking Molière’s work to the stage as they compete against other schools.

“Oh, I love the show. It’s a really good show. We read it last year in class, and ever since then I kind of fell in love with it. And we’re doing a really good job with it,” Zac Aaron, junior, said.

Aaron plays Orgon, the father, in the show.

Meggie Edwards, the drama teacher, will be directing “Tartuffe”. Only her second year at OHS, Edwards has taken the fine arts department by storm, producing fantastic shows such as last year’s competition one act, “Look Me in the Eye” and last year’s spring musical, “Rock of Ages”.

“These kids are talented and they’re smart, and they pick up on subtext and they’re dedicated and they work their butts off,” Edwards said.

Edwards hopes to move onto state with the show; however, as effortless as the performance may appear on stage, it does not just happen.

“You get thrown a lot of curveballs, like the PAC canceling dates on us, budget, making costumes out of nothing…It forces you to be creative, and we’ve learned a ton,” Edwards said.

Another issue that the cast came upon is conveying the completely different day and age that the show is set in.

“We studied commedia dell’arte, which is the theatrical style it was written in. They have stock characters, we learned all about those. Um, we read the show, we did a little bit about the history. We studied a little bit about the costume styles, and then we’ve just been working our patooties off,” Edwards said.

Beyond all of the challenges the cast faces, they also spend countless hours memorizing lines, perfecting their timing, and learning their stage placement.

“We’ve been working since the first week of school. The closer we get to the show, the more we’re rehearsing. We’re together, like, every day after school. It’s hard, yeah, but these people are like my family, and that makes it all worth it,” Madison Keener, sophomore, said.

Keener plays Flipote in the show. Keener is sure that “Tartuffe” will be unforgettable, not because of the script, but because of those involved.

“What really, like, makes a show, are the people who are apart of it. Um, anyone can read some lines, but to bring those words alive is, like, totally different,” Keener said.

Keener is not alone in thinking that Ola’s cast is special.

“When I told some of the other drama directors we were doing Tartuffe they all kind of scoffed at me because its a classic, and trying to do classical pieces with teenagers is tough. And they were all like, ‘Are you sure?’ and I said without hesitation, ‘My kids can do it.’ And they can,” Edwards said.

Part of what stimulates such a great cast is the environment that everyone works in.

“You can really be yourself here as well as be the character you’re playing. When you’re working, you’re serious, but it’s not a kind of forced serious. We’re all into this,” Kaylee Sloan, junior, said.

Sloan is working as the stage manager of the show. The cast, the crew, the environment, the directing, the script, and much more, all come together to make an excellent show.

“We are some of the most hard-working people I’ve ever met. No matter what comes against us, we always overcome it as a team,” Aaron said.

“Tartuffe” will be available to watch on Family and Friend’s night, which is Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. Tickets will be five dollars at the door.