Blind Date with a Book takes Reading in New Direction

Madison Reyome, senior, poses for Lori Vincent, NEHS sponsor, at the event Blind Date with a Book. Reyome wrapped “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” by Mitch Albom, due to its impact on her.

Isabella Chapman

Isabella Chapman

Isabella Chapman, Staff Writer

Lori Vincent, AP English teacher and National English Honor Society sponsor, hosted Blind Date with a Book on Sept. 13. Because of Blind Date with a Book, students became interested in books that they have not read before.

While the first meeting only consisted of eight people, Vincent hopes more people will attend the second meeting. Vincent says that as more meeting go on, she wants to see more faces.

She would like to see the faculty and the students that she does not see regularly.

“I expected it to be a small number because when you start something for the first time not very many people know about it, but I think the next time we do it we will have other people,” Vincent said.

While wanting more meetings to happen in the near feature, Vincent mentioned that not everyone reads at the same pace, because everyone has their own style of reading.

“I think everybody reads at their own pace and the point was to find something that you could enjoy to read, so I don’t know if there is any pressure,” Vincent said.

When it comes to picking a book to bring to the event, Vincent goes through many lists book list for young adults. She makes sure that she has more than one copy in her classroom library and that it was something that other students would enjoy.

Vincent received “Seven Woman: And the Secret of their Greatness” by Eric Metaxas. Ashley Edwards, junior, brought this book because it looked really interesting, and she wanted to pass on a book that she likes.

Edwards received the book “I’ll Give You the Sun” by Jandy Nelson. She mentioned it seems interesting and is ready for a good read. Vincent recommended this book because it does not apply to one specific reader group.

Edwards attended the meeting because she wanted to get more involved with reading. Edwards wants to go again but hopes for more people, so she can receive a different type of books and feel the feeling of surprise when she unwraps the book and sees what the title is.

The few people that came loved unwrapping the books they got to see what the titles were. It’s the feeling of surprise that makes it special.

Madison Reyome, senior, attended the event because she is involved with the National English Honor Society and Vincent had told her about it. Reyome brought the book “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” by Mitch Albom and received “Mosquitoland” by David Arnold.

“I only read one book last year and it was the one book that I read because it was that good. It was a short read cause it was 150 pages. So I was like, you know what if I liked it this much that I read it when I was not reading anything then somebody else would like it, ”Reyome said.

Along with students Stacy Caldwell, media specialist, attended Blind Date with a Book to see what was going on.

Caldwell brought the book “The Lucky One” by Nicholas Sparks and received “The Secret of Laurel Oaks” by Lois Ruby. She mentioned she was ready for this read because it seemed paranormal by what was mentioned on the wrapping paper.

Caldwell mentioned that she loves to read and that it is her favorite hobby. She also wants to encourage reading and loves to support events going on in the school.

“I like doing anything that supports the school and that helps me cater to you. I’m to provide you with what you need and what you want,” Caldwell said.

The next Blind Date with a Book meeting is to be determined.

About the Contributor
Isabella Chapman, Writer

A young woman who loves color guard, dancing, writing, and spending time with friends is known as Isabella Chapman, freshman. She tends to light up a room the moment she walks in. “She’s got a very loud personality and a very loud voice as well. She’s confident about a lot of stuff, and she never leaves your side,” Lana Hardy, freshman, said. Chapman looks forward to her first year of journalism and growing in her writing techniques.  Having a fiery heart for working hard, she hopes to prove her father wrong when he told her: “ You can never do everything that you want to.” Other than wanting to break the limits her dad set before her, she also is involved in Partner’s club, drama, and hopes to join mock trial. Chapman is excited about the adventures that she has just begun.