Preparing for Hurricane Michael

Hurricane posts a threat to Georgia.

Preparing for Hurricane Michael

Florida, Alabama, and Georgia prepare for the biggest hurricane to hit the Florida panhandle. Hurricane Michael upgraded to a Category Four almost overnight before hitting landfall.

Photo Courtesy: NASA Earth Observatory

Photo Courtesy: NASA Earth Observatory

Photo Courtesy: NASA Earth Observatory

Emma Barfield, Business Manager

Hurricane Michael, currently a Category Four hurricane, shakes up the Southeast. The tropical storm began forming in the southwest Caribbean sea and shortly made its way up to the Gulf of Mexico before strengthening to a hurricane on Oct. 8.

“Michael will be the strongest landfalling hurricane of record for Florida’s Panhandle and Big Bend region,” The Weather Channel said, via weather.com

While continuing on its way to the panhandle of Florida, meteorologists upgraded the hurricane several times before leveling out to a Category Four on early morning Wednesday, right before landfall on the Florida panhandle.

“Some additional strengthening is possible before and after landfall,” National Hurricane Service said, via www.nhc.noaa.gov.

The National Weather Service came out with a statement stating that Georgia could see harsh effects from Hurricane Michael. With Georgia possibly receiving winds up to 130 mph and heavy rainfall, the NWS suggests to be in the loop and to prepare your home for a strong storm.

“Rainfall totals of four to eight inches are forecast from the Florida Panhandle and Big Bend into southeastern Alabama and southwestern and middle Georgia, according to the National Hurricane Center. Locally, up to a foot of rain is possible. This may cause life-threatening flash flooding in some areas,” The Weather Channel said, via weather.com

Preparing your home for a hurricane in Georgia is probably something you would never think about but here are some steps for maintaining your family’s safety during this rough weather:

1. If you live in an area surrounded by trees, try to cut down or trim any loose limbs that could potentially hurt you or others.
  2. Take pictures of your property BEFORE the storm is present. This can help you find out what exactly is damaged during the storm. This can also help you when filing an insurance claim.
  3. Secure and clean out any loose gutters or downspouts. Without doing this, it could cause more damage than intended to your home and it can prevent flooding in or around your home.
  4. Contact family members or friends that will not be in affect of the hurricane to call you and make sure you are safe after the hit.
  5. Stock up on non-perishable foods and water that you can still eat if a power outage occurs. For water, you can also fill up your bathtub, weird, but it might help you later on.
  6. Charge your cell phones and portable chargers so you can have access to updates or message family and friends.
  7. Prepare a first aid kit with bandages, medicines, and wraps. This could be life-saving if an injury were to occur so make sure you have the proper tools in your first aid kit.
  8. Have flashlights and candles ready for a power outage.
  9. After checking your location with the hurricane, board up your windows based off of the gusts of winds you will receive.
  10. Have an evacuation plan. Although middle Georgia is safer than the coastline area, people should be aware of the unpredictable weather.

About the Writer
Emma Barfield, Business Manager & Digital Media Editor

Emma Barfield: a senior, daydreamer, hard-worker, friend, and Mexican food lover, she’s “nacho” average student. Barfield not only...