New Assistant Principal has Big Dreams for Ola

Getting to know our newest assistant principal.

Mr.+Chavous+prepares+for+the+new+school+year.+Chavous+was+an+assistant+principal+at+Garrett+Middle+school+in+Cobb+County+before+coming+to+Ola.+

Mr. Chavous prepares for the new school year. Chavous was an assistant principal at Garrett Middle school in Cobb County before coming to Ola.

Courtesy of Charles Chavous

Courtesy of Charles Chavous

Courtesy of Charles Chavous

Kortney Huggins, Staff Writer

As the first nine weeks of the 2018-2019 school year concluded, Charles Chavous, assistant principal, received a warm welcome from students and faculty as his first year at Ola began.

“I’ve been hampered by an ankle injury, but other than that, things have been absolutely awesome. The administrators, teachers and students at Ola have welcomed me with open arms and I have had an absolute blast,” Chavous said.

Previously working at Garrett Middle school and now at Ola High, Chavous adjusts to the new environment but he likes the change.

“It’s the best of both worlds. I get to see how students develop from early adolescence to their late teenage years into adulthood,” Chavous said.

Aside from watching kids grow and guiding them on the right path, Chavous also helps teachers improve in the classroom.

“I have the opportunity to support teachers. I go in and I observe their classes and give them feedback along with the opportunity to assist students with instruction,” Chavous said.

When he is not helping teachers and students,Chavous is found helping Mr. Shedd plan and developing activities at the school, or performing his least favorite duty.

“The dreaded part of the day, I have to do discipline. It is something I do not enjoy. Often times when I’m dealing with discipline, I’m seeing students at not their best light,” Chavous said.

When not at the high school, Chavous can be found hunting or playing golf.

“I have a wife and three kids so that doesn’t leave a lot of free time, but in my short free time I like to hunt and play golf,” Chavous said.

Chavous dreams big for this school year, and he hopes to see student engagement, attendance rate and achievement rates increase.

“I would like to see the element of fun come back in school, where students are actually having fun on a daily basis, teachers are having fun on a daily basis,” Chavous said.

Chavous looks forward to many more weeks full of excitement at Ola High School.