‘Tartuffe’, Ola’s Competition One Act, takes center-stage

The show will leave the audience with a laugh and wanting an autograph.

‘Tartuffe’ continues his charade even after the family has failed to reveal his true identity. The facial expressions of the cast alone caused the audience to burst into laughter.

Payton DiSario, Copy Editor

Echoes of laughter could be heard throughout the Performing Arts Center when Ola’s drama department stormed the stage in a whirl of character as they whisked the audience into the world of “Tartuffe” by Molière.

The show featured a family in the mid-17th century France that took in a man off of the streets, ‘Tartuffe’, played by Noen Eubanks, senior, and the head of the family, ‘Orgon’, played by Zac Aaron, junior, sees ‘Tartuffe’ as a holy man who can do no wrong. The rest of ‘Orgon’s’ family; however, can see ‘Tartuffe’s’ cruel intentions.

Even before the lights went down, the audience sat on the edge of their seats.

“I know there have been some really talented students in past years so I’m super excited to see what they do this year,” Brittany Eubanks, N. Eubanks’ mother, said.

The one-act was directed by Ola’s Meggie Edwards, the drama teacher. Edwards has, so far, put on hit after hit and “Tartuffe” was no exception.

“I’ve read the script before and this was a really good interpretation of it. The way it was written, there’s really no stage directions, so that’s supposed to be made up entirely on their own. And, like, generally when that happens, when people do older stuff, they do that and it’s really awkwardly staged, and it just doesn’t look right, but they did really good with it,” Lucas Keener, Madison Keener’s brother and alumni of Ola’s Thespian Society, said.

The audience laughs in delight at the sight of Ethan Washburn, pictured left. Washburn, sophomore, played ‘Monsieur Loyal’.

Keener, sophomore, played ‘Flipote’, one of the maids in the show. M. Keener was only one of the many talented actors that made the show so amazing. Sarah Plemons, sophomore, mentioned her favorite was ‘Tartuffe’.

“He was just so great. He portrayed the role so well. His acting was just so phenomenal. It was so emotional, and he just really put forth the effort,” Plemons said.

As Plemons was awe-struck by N. Eubanks, other people in the audience were entranced by different members of the colorful cast.

“I saw raw emotion from Zac Aaron. Raw emotion of, just like, sadness, happiness, it was like a kaleidoscope of emotions,” said Andrew Gebhardt, senior.

While many of the night’s spectators were related to the various actors onstage, many of them were there as supporters from Ola High School. Chloe Vicos, Olivia Vicos’ sister who played Elmire, thinks there was a reason there were so many younger audience members.

“It should be catered more to younger audiences like our age because, we don’t actually believe this is right,” C. Vicos said, in reference to a scene where ‘Tartuffe’ attempts to convince ‘Elmire’ to commit adultery. C. Vicos believed younger audiences would enjoy the show more based on the comedy used.

In all, the show was very well received and left the audience extremely pleased. It and its fantastic cast deserve five out of five stars.

The cast of ‘Tartuffe’ basks in the applause and praise of a thoroughly impressed audience following their first show. The cast and crew worked for countless hours since the beginning of the school year in hopes of being able to compete against other talented schools.

“I would change nothing. Nothing. It was perfect,” said Plemons.

The cast will take the show to competition and bring home some awards.