Mustangs kick off Senior Night

Julius Porter, senior wide receiver, lines up against Jordan Davis, senior cornerback. Both athletes battled the entire game to see who would come out on top and win the match-up.

Trenton Hill

Trenton Hill, Sports Editor

The Seniors for Cross Country smile as they are acknowledged prior to the Mustang Football game. The Seniors among the others selected for Cross Country are prepared for their state meet this Friday.

On Friday, Oct. 26, 2018, the Mustangs hosted the Jones County Greyhounds for their annual Senior Night. The Mustangs set the night off by introducing every senior football player, cheerleader, band member, and cross country member before kickoff for what will go down as their last high school home game.

“As this was my first Senior Night at Ola, I didn’t know what to expect. I came with an open mind and I was not disappointed. All in all, it was a pretty good Senior Night, though I did think I would see more Seniors,” Tristin Sahagun, Senior and cross country member, said. “It was pretty special. I had fun and spent time with friends, though I was disappointed to see us lose. I am definitely not going to forget this for a long time,” Sahagun added.

Additionally, Sahagun also went on to say, “There’s no doubt that had we won, Seniors would have been much more upbeat and excited. We have not had the best record this season, so it would have certainly raised our spirits. That being said, our loss of a game should not dictate our level of school spirit. We can still be proud and enjoy our time here at Ola. Go Mustangs!,”

The stands were on fire as the fans applauded and cheered for the seniors mentioned. Despite the massive amount of energy put out by the Mustangs and their supporters, the Greyhound football team stole the show as they tacked 21 points all in the first quarter, draining some of that energy out of the Mustangs.

The Mustangs fought hard defensively, but they could not manage to stop the pure aggression and determination of the Greyhound offense, resulting in a 42-0 lead in favor of the Greyhounds.

At the end of the half, regardless of the fact that the Mustangs were down by multiple possessions, the crowd stayed into the game as they continued to cheer the team on. Ironically, although the Greyhounds got off to a fast start, both teams went scoreless in the third quarter.

As the fourth and final quarter approached, the fight in the Mustangs began to show tremendously as they held the Greyhounds to yet another scoreless quarter while managing to put points on the board themselves. In contempt of the late game efforts by the Mustangs, the game was simply out of reach, resulting in a final score of 42-3, and a loss for the Mustangs on Senior Night.

“Senior Night did not really feel much different than any other Friday night, because they did it before the game instead of at halftime. The Seniors took it pretty well because they knew what to expect,” Gary Anderson Jr., Junior and football player stated. Furthermore, Anderson Jr. goes on to say that he believes that the Mustangs should “try and schedule a team that we can can actually beat” for next year’s Senior Night.

Mustangs will be back in action against the Eagles Landing Eagles at Eagles Landing High School on Friday, Nov. 2.

About the Contributor
Trenton Hill, Writer

Photographer and writer, Trenton Hill ends his high school career as being a first year staff member on the publication. Hill transferred from Morrow High...