Athlete of the week: Otis Coleman

Coleman enjoys playing on the football team because of the family he has on there. “[The best part is] Getting to hang out with your buds, they take up for you and stuff,” Coleman said.

Ashley Edwards

Ashley Edwards

Ashley Edwards, Photo Editor

Otis Coleman, sophomore, used the past football season to make a name for himself. He not only grew from the sport personality-wise, but he is one of the few underclassmen to be on the offensive line.

Coleman is greatly admired by his teammates and coaches Jared Zito and Darren DeMeio. They both love his attitude and passion toward the game.

“Otis is a blue collar kid. He comes to work everyday, doesn’t say much, he gives a great effort and tries to do exactly what he’s coached to do and he tries to get better everyday,” Zito said.

This is Coleman’s first year on varsity and he is already impressing the coaches and his team. Also with being on offensive line as a sophomore, it is a big deal in the Mustang Football realm.

“He’s undersized for the position right now, just being a sophomore. Other football teams mostly have seniors on the offensive line because it takes a lot of experience and playing time to get good. He’s done a very nice job as a sophomore,” DeMeio said.

DeMeio is Coleman’s position coach who helps him with his duty on offensive line. He admires his attitude on the field and his focus and determination.

He comes ready for his teammates everyday,”

— Darren DeMeio,position coach

“He plays with a lot of technique and is very smart. He is laid-back and quiet, but he’s very tough on the football field,” DeMeio said.

Football has been a part of Coleman’s life for as long as he could remember. His favorite part of the sport is being able to have a second family: the team.

“[The best part is] Getting to hang out with your buds, they take up for you and stuff,” Coleman said.

He loves the sport along with the family he gets with it. In the long run, he hopes to go to college off of it.

Ashley Edwards
Otis Coleman, 10, has been playing football since he was little and has loved it ever since. “He plays with a lot of technique and is very smart. He is laid-back and quiet, but he’s very tough on the football field,” Darren DeMeio, position coach, said.

“Practice is fun, I’m still enjoying it. It’s nice to hang out with my friends after school and I also want to get a scholarship hopefully,” Coleman said.

As for how he has grown this season, coaches said they have seen him come out of his shell with the sport. They have seen that he is starting to take football a lot more seriously coming from junior varsity. 

“He’s really matured as far as understanding the importance of Friday night football compared to freshman or JV football. He comes ready for his teammates everyday,” DeMeio said.

Zito is especially proud of him for his work with his first time on varsity. He said that he is the kid that never settles for less, and after every game he only got better.

“He has a bright future, only a tenth grader, so we’re really excited about having him for the next two years,” Zito said.

About the Contributor
Ashley Edwards, Photo Editor

Ashley Edwards, a dedicated third-year journalist, was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on August 20, 2002. She started as a Marching Band Nerd but now...