First time voters cast ballots

Ashley+McIntyre+holds+up+her+first+Georgia+voter+sticker+after+voting+in+her+first+election.+McIntyre+wanted+to+vote+from+a+young+age%2C+and+was+excited+to+exercise+her+constitutional+right+on+November+7th%2C+2018.+

First time voters cast ballots

Ashley McIntyre holds up her first Georgia voter sticker after voting in her first election. McIntyre wanted to vote from a young age, and was excited to exercise her constitutional right on November 7th, 2018.

Photo Courtesy of Ashley McIntyre

Photo Courtesy of Ashley McIntyre

Photo Courtesy of Ashley McIntyre

Gaby Holub, Social Media Editor

As election season comes to an end, many first time voters chose to exercise their constitutional amendment rights and participate in their first real election. In doing so, many researched the process and the candidates to help make the voting experience simpler.

Ola High School invited a person from the county to help eligible student to register to vote if they were confused on the process on how to proceed after their birthday. While some processes went smoother than others, many students’ voter registrations were denied or lost in the process.

“They sent my information to the wrong county. They sent it to Butts County, and I live in Jackson, so that was kind of hard because I didn’t know if I would be able to vote,” McKenzie Scott, senior, said.

When it came time to vote on the election, the question became if the long lines might affect the first time voters’ inspiration and if the rain might affect the turnout of voters. As many students waited in line with the excitement of their first time voting, many other students chose not to vote.

“I chose to not register to vote because by the time the elections came around my license was not the same as my home address, therefore I would not be able to vote in the area I now live. I also do not follow politics closely,” Deni Bonea, senior, said.

Many students also chose to vote  in order to gain experience before the 2020 presidential election, but were not biased to any one candidate over another.

“I voted because I wanted to be part of the community. [I] did not necessarily want to vote for this election but I wanted to get the experience before the 2020 election,” Chadd Hill, senior, said.

While this election was the beginning of many firsts for students, it was also the first time an African American women was chosen to represent the Democratic party. Many hopes remained high during this election which led to an influx of centennial voters and millennial voters.

“I vote because I have the right to vote, and many people would die to have that right, and many people would die for that right so, as long as I have it, I am going to use it, ” Ashley McIntyre, senior, said.

As the elections came to a close, many will remember this historic election as not only their first time voting but one of their first civic duties executed as an adult in the United States of America.

“I voted because it was my civil right, and I’d like someone who know what they’re doing in charge.” Cameron Vincent, senior, said.