“Bohemian Rhapsody” offers an “Escape from reality”

Katie Morris, Staff Writer

“Bohemian Rhapsody” was a very entertaining movie which is loosely based on the life of rock icon Freddie Mercury.  

The movie begins with Farrokh Bulsara, Mercury’s birth name, meeting Brian May and Roger Taylor in a London club.  Learning that their lead singer has just quit, Bulsara auditions.

Through a series of clips and background music, time fast-forwards to show how the band became Queen and Bulsara becomes Freddie Mercury.  

Rami Malek, actor, does an impressive job portraying Freddie Mercury.  He not only looks the part with Mercury’s famous overbite but he has captured the flamboyance that made him famous.

Brian May, played by Gwilym Lee, nailed not only his looks but also his mannerisms.  

The rest of the band Roger Taylor, drummer, played by Ben Hardy, and John Deacon, bassist, played by Joseph Mazzello, were equally talented and wrote many of Queen’s songs.  

One of the most iconic parts of the movie was when the record executive, played by Mike Myers, rejected “Bohemian Rhapsody” as the single off the recorded album “Night of the Opera.”  

His reason for rejection was that no one would ever play a six-minute song on the radio and it would never sell, which is a reference to Wayne’s World for those that remember.  Of course, there has to be one bad guy in every movie and Paul Prenter, played by Allen Leech, was the manager that manipulated Mercury into making some bad decisions which lead to the hiatus of the band.  

Mary Austin, played by Lucy Boynton, was the person that Freddie loved most but was unable to commit to.  The movie clipped thru many musical performances featuring some of Mercury’s famous stage costumes only stopping to show how some hit songs came to be.  

This all leads up to the climax of the “Live Aid Concert” in 1985, which many Queen fans believe is the “Best Queen Performance Ever.”  

In the end, Freddie Mercury does meet his forever mate Jim Hutton, played by Aaron McCusker, who is with him until his death Nov. 24, 1991.  

This movie was a tribute to Freddie Mercury, but it was just the tip of the iceberg. True Queen fans may not like some of the inaccuracies, but those that have met Freddie Mercury and the band are in awe.  

About the Writer
Katie Morris, Writer

Katie Morris, freshman, begins her journey as a first-year member of the Hoof Print staff. Born May 27, 2004, Morris lives with her parents and brother,...