Students Launch a Bike Share Program

Students Launch a Bike Share Program

Isabella Chapman, Staff Writer

Bronlyn Holland
The University of Mississippi is one of the many colleges that has a Bike Share Program that included six hubs on campus and one downtown. The Bike Share Program started on September 13, 2018.

Sydney Peterson, senior, and Phillip Hammond, sophomore, want to establish a Bike Sharing Program in Mcdonough. Peterson and Hammond formed this eco-friendly idea in Directed Studies with Deb Salter, English teacher.

“It’s a good, active, and green way to help the environment and people,” Peterson said.

The public would be able to use bikes located at different points in the community and the riders will return the bike to the station near their destination. The number of bikes will grow as more of the public begins to use the alternate form of transportation.

“I feel like our community is older friendly and not really youth-friendly,” Hammond said.

College campuses including, Kennesaw University and Georgia Southern University implemented the bike sharing program. Hammond and Peterson think that if it can work for college campuses and Atlanta then it can work for Henry County.

“A lot of kids can’t go out they need their parents to drive them to point A to point B, so … they can drive it[bikes] to point B, for the low cost, say like three dollars for every hour, then they can drop it off at point B and then the next person could drive from point B to point A,” Peterson said.”

Personal experiences of Peterson and Hammond have shown the need for this program to help fight the grip that technology has on youth.

“There is not really a lot of things for us[students] to do and if we had a bike share station…we could have something to do and really explore our city and learn about the history of our city,” Hammond said.

Without many things to do the youth tend not to think and will go out and carelessly drive.

“People could use it to, take some people off the road. You could use it to get somewhere, ride a bike and go somewhere rather than getting in a car and going somewhere,” Hammond said.

Salter agreed that McDonough and the youth would benefit.

“I think McDonough would really benefit from having more actives and things for young people to do and to be able to participate in the actual downtown McDonough area,” Salter said.

Peterson and Hammond need the community’s help to support their idea.

“Just like public backing, for everyone to say they would want to do this and really show officials that it would work,” Hammond said.

Hammond and Peterson are needing the public’s help to spread the word to get this program started.

“We probably need advertise, it could be something that and then target the younger audience,” Peterson said.

The community would be able to help with their obstacles like advertising and not being about to find a location. Getting through these obstacles will be very difficult, there will many steps to go through.

“Our end goal is to get them [bikes] here, and right now since we had our conference call we just need to make a few more contacts with the county and see if the county will let us do it or the city, with parks and rec, but we do have contacts with the bike sharing side of it,” Peterson said.

About the Contributor
Isabella Chapman, Writer

A young woman who loves color guard, dancing, writing, and spending time with friends is known as Isabella Chapman, freshman. She tends to light up a room...