Stylish Shirts Help Kids Receive Books

Ola has a new approach on how to raise money for Ferst Foundation.

Stylish Shirts Help Kids Receive Books

Brown and Caldwell hope that they will have the shirts sold out. To promote sales, the shirts were placed in front of the library.

Emma Barfield, Business Manager

A call for help in childhood education, the Ferst Foundation decided to answer, but they had a serious problem to solve.

“Ferst Readers addresses one of the most basic issues of childhood literacy-ensuring the availability of quality books in the home so that parents can read to their child,” ferstreaders.org said.

Low-income families, who are struggling to feed and clothe their children, consider that books are not always high on the list of necessity. Education comes second to surviving, but the Ferst Foundation set up a way to stop this from happening.

Children in the Ferst Readers literacy program receive a bookstore-quality, age-specific book and resources mailed to them at home every month until their fifth birthday,” ferstreaders.org said.

Funding for this wonderful program comes from private donations, corporate scholarships and grants, Ola decided to take initiative because some of the local youths are in desperate need of reading material.

“We’ve been doing the Ferst Foundation fundraiser for three years now but the past two years Mrs. Benton was here and she did it a little differently,” Cheryl Brown, librarian, said.

In year’s past, classes would raise money and whoever won would receive a pizza party; however, this year, Stacey Caldwell, media specialist, had something a little different in mind.

“I just thought we could do something different and this might encourage more people to donate since they will be receiving a shirt out of it,” Caldwell said.

The shirts for the Ferst Foundation fundraiser can be found in the learning center for only 12 dollars.

“I sent out an email to Mrs. Vincent, and she helped me ask the students which design they liked the most for the shirt,” Caldwell said.

The present students and faculty of Ola support the community and hope to see education become a first priority in McDonough.  

“This will help the kids in our community which are future students here at Ola High,” Brown said.

The shirts will continue to be sold until every shirt is sold, so if you are looking for a good way to give back but also get a stylish shirt, buy a shirt for Ferst Foundation to help provide future students with education.