Mustangs Throw Down on the Mat

Jackson+DiSario%2C+senior+and+a+team+captain%2C+wrestles+Woodland+as+teammates+and+family+cheer+him+on.+DiSario+later+pinned%2C+securing+the+win+for+the+Ola+Mustangs.+

Mustangs Throw Down on the Mat

Jackson DiSario, senior and a team captain, wrestles Woodland as teammates and family cheer him on. DiSario later pinned, securing the win for the Ola Mustangs.

Shelby Ghersi

Shelby Ghersi

Shelby Ghersi

Payton DiSario, Copy Editor

On Saturday, Jan. 12, Ola’s Varsity Wrestling team competed in an annual dual called Area, which decides which two teams will move on to state duals. The team traveled to Locust Grove High School and won runner-up.

Many of Ola’s wrestlers such as Samuel Harris, freshman, went undefeated during the dual.

“[As a freshman] I get to fly under the radar. No one expects much from you so there are no expectations you have to focus on living up to other than your own,” Harris said.

While Harris experienced Area for the first time, some wrestlers experienced it for the last.

“Even though we lost it was a great experience to be able to go out and compete with not only my team but against our rival teams,” Hunter Daniel, senior, said.

Going to Area for the final time was not only hard on wrestlers, but also on the parents of seniors.

“It’s really bittersweet. I’m in awe of how much this team has accomplished and continues to accomplish. But it’s very sentimental to me because I know it’s Jackson’s senior year and it will be the last state trip I make for duals,” Tracy Blackburn, mother of Jackson DiSario, senior, said.

When the parents are not around, the coaches are there to control the team.

“Honestly, the coaches really are what keeps us in line. It’s all about how they coach and their strategies,” Daniel said.

The coaches encourage the wrestlers to embrace being around each other more often than not. This inevitably leads to firm friendships developing between them.

“It’s more of a brotherhood than it is a team. It gets us all closer and it gets us to talk more than we normally would. Usually, like in other sports, you’re just there to be there. But in wrestling, we kind of have to stick together,” Daniel said.

Harris also finds comfort in seeing familiar faces in multiple aspects.

“I love the comradery, just the friends you make. You can see another wrestler in the hallways and it’s always someone you can just go up to and talk to them,” Harris said.

While the wrestlers and coaches were disappointed to not take home the first place trophy as they did last year, they made a point to stick together.

“I want everyone to know we win as a team and we lose as a team. It’s never one person’s fault. That is how we, as a team, should feel,” Joey Dinino, head coach, said.

The wrestlers’ families enthusiastically support the team and inspire them to never give up. 

“It’s really great to be apart of a team that is so disciplined and so connected as a group. So, when you’re at the duals, it’s like a family. Everyone cheers on. We feel each win and we feel each loss,” Blackburn said.

The team will continue to State Duals on Jan. 17 and hope to come back even stronger.