The Record Scratch: 2019 Playlist
New Year, New mood, New Music.
January 22, 2019
For 2019, I curated a list of songs to bring in a feel-good mood for this year. From classics like America and Amy Winehouse to new-school like Billie Eilish and Khalid, this list is full of songs for one to discover new artists or to jam out to when they need a pick-me-up.
Some honorable mentions from the playlist:
“Someone Like Me” by Issac Waddington featuring Piers James
- Issac Waddington is an 18-year-old singer-songwriter from Portsmouth, England. In this track, he gives off a chill-feel-good-island vibe with smooth piano in the background. Piers James’ rapping integrates beautifully with Waddington’s silk-like voice, making a great song you will want to leave on repeat.
“Caught in the Middle” by Paramore
- Paramore, an American group, is essential for any playlist. The trio, Hayley Williams, lead singer, Taylor York, guitarist, and Zac Farro, who is on the drum kit, wrote this song in the midst of being confronted with the concept of growing older. The band is known for sneaking in sometimes hard-to-hear truths like these through their upbeat songs.
“bellyache” by Billie Eilish
- I could not make a 2019 playlist without including the 17-year-old singer-songwriter, Billie Eilish. Eilish took over the music industry throughout 2018 with her magnificent talent. She has a unique way of translating her thoughts into song beautifully. This was a personal favorite that I felt fit perfectly into my vision for this playlist.
“Supercut” by Lorde
- The electro-pop princess, Lorde, 22-year-old singer-songwriter, released this song back in 2017 on her album “Melodrama” (the perfect name for such a masterpiece). This song is a mix of party and melancholy with a fast-paced beat and deep lyrics. It would be wrong of me to not add this song because of the artistry portrayed in this track.
“Dancing In the Moonlight” – King Harvest
- This song has such a special place in my heart and takes me back to middle school, where I would jam out in my room after a stressful day at school. The track, written by ‘70s band, King Harvest, paints a picture of a feel-good moment. “Everybody’s feelin’ warm and bright, it’s such a fine and natural sight.”
“Bougie Party” by Chloe x Halle
- Chloe x Halle, a sister duo consisting of Chloe Bailey, 20, and Halle Bailey, 18, is known for their pop songs that have a touch of R&B. This track, backed by a trap beat, showcases their angelic voices singing about a party. Altogether, it makes a great song for a 2019 playlist.
Anticipated album releases:
Here are some of the albums that I’m ecstatic to see in 2019. This list only includes Jan. through May, because most artists have yet to release information prior to May. “To Be Announced” is for artists who have announced that there will indeed be an album this year, but no set date yet.
- Beirut: Gallipoli
- The Specials: Encore
- Lily & Madeleine: Canterbury Girls
- The Japanese House: Good at Falling
- Weezer: Weezer (the Black Album)
- Sigrid: Sucker Punch
- The Cranberries: In the End (final album)
- The 1975: Notes on a Conditional Form
- If the embedded link doesn’t show up even after refreshing: https://open.spotify.com/user/slb635bcavzq66maeuedaroo5/playlist/3dTHBwCpjRJB9nI2zZ9eKF?si=vuTSMIqUR9SlISg30T8wxg