Ola Over Broadway: From Motown to McDonough

Ola+over+Broadway%27s+final+performance+included+a+dazzling+array+of+lights+and+encouraged+audience+participation.+This+is+the+fifth+annual+performance+of+Ola+over+Broadway.++

Ola over Broadway's final performance included a dazzling array of lights and encouraged audience participation. This is the fifth annual performance of Ola over Broadway.

Gaby Holub, Social Media Manager

As the curtain rose on the fifth annual performance of Ola Over Broadway and the 700 filled seats, the performance attracted people from all across the Ola community to watch.

With tickets being sold at the door and at Ola High School, there was a wait list for those who were on call if someone was unable to come and a seat opened up. The theater was crammed packed with people having to stand in the back if there wasn’t enough room for their whole family.

Luke Walker, junior and emcee, introduced every piece with a background of the shows and his own personal touch. He informed us later on, he did, in fact, tear up watching “Omigod” by Legally Blonde.

As the lights came up, we were first introduced to a fan favorite “The Greatest Showman,” performed by soloists Zac Aaron and Hank Sledge, juniors. Mckenzie Scott, senior, performed “This is Me” with a strong and resilient voice, and as the song continued, the theater was full of people singing along and mouthing the words.

The audio at the beginning of the show on the first night had some issues- The music overpowered the soloists’ singing. While the music was clear, the microphones seemed to go in and out which made it hard to hear the words of the song.

The cast performed some of the most popular songs from Broadway musicals such as “I Won’t Say I’m in Love” from Hercules, “Rent” from Rent, “Omigod” from Legally Blonde, and “Once Upon a December” from Anastasia.

I was impressed by the energy during “Omigod” from Legally Blonde. Many of the performers took on the roles of the sorority sisters, and the atmosphere felt as if we could have been on an actual college campus.

One of the most impressive parts of the performances was the costumes for every number due to their creativity. In particular the costumes for the Muses in the song, “I Won’t Say I’m in Love,” were incredible.  The gold and white popped on the dark background which strongly resembled the Muses from the movie.

The sets were incredible for the budget of the show, and they showed how much time was put into the construction. The house from Legally Blonde was almost exactly replicated the way it is shown in the Broadway show. Each set helped create a vision for the audience that allowed them to feel as if they were apart of the show themselves.

The costumes and dance routines were not only spot on but incredibly executed for a high school level and many of the students who participated come from a background in dance or theater.

The energy from the majority of the cast contributed to the shows being brought to life off of paper. This led to standing ovations from the audience one act after another.

As a person that has seen many of these plays performed on Broadway and at the Fox Theater and has grown up in the theater, I was pleasantly surprised that the students were able to hit many of the high notes and hold them.

While the spacing between the songs was short and filled with humor from the MR, the wait between the acts was underwhelming. Many audience members became restless and started to time the lags.
These unnecessary spaces contributed to slightly diminished energy in the audience. By the third song, many of the lags became predictable and put a damper on the night.

While the show was, in fact, impressive as a whole, fixing the mics and creating a way to keep the audience entertained between acts would not only benefit the show, but would keep the audience entertained and engaged.

By the last song, “Get on your Feet,” many audience members made comments about wishing the play lasted longer or how well it was produced. Compared to other high schools with the same budget, Ola’s theater department executed Ola Over Broadway extremely well.

I was not sure what to expect at my first Ola over Broadway, , but the play not only exceeded my expectations but exceeded the audiences as well. When the curtain fell on the final act, the auditorium was filled with a standing ovation from the crowd and many waiting for the performance next year.

About the Writer
Gaby Holub, Social Media Manager

The bilingual and writing fanatic, Gabrielle “Gaby" Holub, senior, runs the Social Media side of Hoof Print. Her love for writing blossoms from the support...