Ola over Broadway: Behind the Scenes

Ola over Broadway: Behind the Scenes

Lighting up the stage the Ola high school chorus brings all their energy to the show. Energized and prideful they launched their voices into the crowd.

Jedea Cook, Staff writer

Before the opening night, members of Ola Over Broadway took on many rehearsals during school and also on their own time Defining Ola’s arts program for the past couple of years,they prosper by being initiated on loads of practice.

“I’m here for as much as I can be, I love these kids, and I have loved to see this program grow, it’s amazing and the talent is just beyond,” Kristi Garrett, parent chaperone, said.

The second weekend of January, students were filled with excitement for practice, but due to complications practice was cancelled, but students took every minute of free time to practice themselves on dancing and rhersing songs.

“It’s so exciting, it’s a once in a lifetime chance. I’ve learned how to read music more, and I’ve learned how to be more outgoing and just to not be afraid to shine,” Jordan Parker, freshman, said.

With the help of fellow band students the lights, props and microphones made their way on and off stage during the duration of both practices. From hair and makeup, to costumes and dancing, the dress rehearsal provided stability and a wild buzz going into the first show.

Todd Manson and Jamie Mcdonald, band teachers, provided Mindy Forehand, director of Ola over Broadway, with a wide variety of musicians to play along in the show. Bari, saxophone player, and Mallorie Wiggins, sophomore, came back ready to give her all for rehearsal and the opening night.

“It’s a lot of work, but it really pays off in the end,” Wiggins said.

Performing in multiple shows before, Payton Scott, junior, was more than excited to show the community what they’ve been working on.`

“I love Broadway musicals, and just having the songs. Being able to sing all of the songs with some of my best friends is just a lot of fun,” Scott said.

Carrying out different Broadway musicals, they have incorporated “On Your Feet”, “Legally Blonde’’, “The Book of Mormon”, “Guys and Dolls”, “Anastasia”, “Hercules”, “Les Miserables”, “The Wiz”, “Motown”, “In The Heights”, “Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang”, and “The Greatest Showman”[not a Broadway musical] into the show. The show was a delight to the audience.

“This year I’m really, really proud that we’re bringing Ola together of the one Ola. We not only have our chorus kids here. We have a lot of the band kids that have come and spent hours at practice performing, and we also have graduated alumni of Ola that have come back to help because they love the show so much,” Garrett said.

Finishing out this years show strongly, students and parents cannot wait for what’s in store for next year.