New Year, New Relationships

New Year, New Relationships

Bailey Bair and Sarah Beacham celebrate new friends and the start to the new year. This is Sarah's first time celebrating New Year's Eve in America.

Sarah Beacham

Sarah Beacham

Sarah Beacham

Gaby Holub, Social Media Manager

With the New Year come and gone, away are the holiday and New Year’s parties and sparkly dresses, crowns and confetti poppers. From those parties as many people come together, many end up getting together between Christmas and Valentine’s Day.

From what I have seen in the past, relationships seem to lose fire and dwindle down to the singles they once were before the holidays started so the question emerges, what went wrong? Is it the shedding of the old into the New Year, is it boredom after the fun of the holidays or does it simply not work out anymore?

Society and the social aspect creates the perfect idea of relationships through social media and influencers that lead perfect lives, so when reality hits for the average girl next door, what goes wrong? Many people feel as if, social media and posting pictures daily equates to a perfect relationship, but then on the opposite end of the spectrum if you don’t post within a week, you’re suddenly broken up?

January is a sad, dreary, gray month of boredom. We go back to school, and suddenly you’re slammed with work, stressed, burdened by the new resolutions you created that you know you’re more than likely going to stop doing as soon as the hype dies down. College acceptances become to come in and so much more so it simply makes sense that most relationships in high school at least can’t handle that burden and stress.

Not to be cynical, but starting the year by yourself allows you to find yourself and decide who you are going to be as a person that year. As I watched the countdown clock, I made the decision that this would be the year I take back me.

In the past friendships and relationships, I have given more than I have taken, so in turn learning my lesson, I decided this year was going to be about me. I wouldn’t look for a relationship, but I will be content in my life and choices.

The month of January represents the time of year to change and discover who you are; it sets the tone for the rest of your year.

So now I present  the question, who will you be this year?