Franscesa May joins OHS staff

Franscesa May joins OHS staff

Franchesca May working hard on some files. She has wanted to work somewhere she is a part of a team since she went to college.

Alanna McDuffie

Alanna McDuffie

Alanna McDuffie

Alanna McDuffie, Staff Writer

Caring, hardworking and a team player are three ways that can describe Francesca May, the new clinic aide at Ola High School.

Clinic aides distribute medications, assist injured students, and ensure the health and safety of all students and staff. Clinic aides must also be able to work on a team and with a large group of people.

“[Franchesca May] is a caring individual who is eager to work on a team,” David Shedd, principal said.

Clinic aides are beneficial to everyone because staff members do not have to worry about any job but their own, and students receive better care.

May has been in the clinic for almost two weeks and is still in training, but she has already started to perform her duties and make sure that the students are healthy.

“She is still in the learning and training phase, but is already assisting injured students, taking care of sick students, and distributing medication,” Shedd said.

May comes to Ola from the Henry County Sheriff’s Department where she was a detention officer. In her time working at the jail, she learned how to handle working with large groups of people and still be able to take care of them.

“Through working at the jail she’s used to working with a large group of people…and it has given her a good work ethic,” Davis, said.

She was not always as dedicated as she is now, in fact she was a class clown in high school.

“I always made jokes, in world history we used to play “Jeopardy”… and I would be the one to make little jokes when [my teacher] asked questions, instead of participating he allowed me to do the board instead because he knew I was gonna make a joke about it… instead of answering the question cuz I was more nervous… so I just made it funny,” May said.

When May became a mother, her entire life changed, and she started working much harder than before. She was working full time, studying for school to keep her grades up, and taking care of her son all at the same time.

“My biggest thing I wanted to do is show him that no matter what decisions you make in life, no matter how young you are…there is always a way out,” May said.

After high school, she went to college for criminal justice and veterinary assistance. She ultimately decided against being a veterinary assistant due to her love of animals and the possibility that she would have to euthanize.

Finally, she decided to become a clinic aide and work at Ola. May enjoys working in the clinic and has expressed that she does not think she will be leaving anytime soon.

Alanna McDuffie

About the Contributor
Alanna McDuffie, Writer

Alanna McDuffie, junior, is like any other teenagers; she loves food. However, that is where most parallels between her and other teens stop. She enjoys...