Swim team seizes 5th county title

Swim team seizes 5th county title

Jedea Cook, Staff Writer

With the stress gone from the meet, the Ola High swim team seniors lived in the moment.
Proud of their team, they can’t wait to set off for college and see what the team can accomplish next year.

Swimming to the finish line, the Mustangs swim team ends their season with a big achievement for their last two meets. They have been the county champions for the past four years, and this year, they claim the title again by working harder than ever against their new rivalries.

“It feels amazing. This year is extra special because I knew going in that we were really going to have to fight for this one, and it was going to be tough and everybody on the team exceeded my expectations. If it wasn’t for every single one of them it would not have happened,” Terri Denson, head swim coach, said.

Over the last few weeks, several of the team members set new school records and beat their best personal record. Qualifying for state at Georgia Tech,  Shelby Nail, freshman, broke the school record in the 100-meter butterfly with a time of 1:05:00. Having almost no words, she could not believe what had happened.

“I think I’m excited for probably going to state sooner in the season and getting faster, and to be able to get better times and hopefully not be the only one going to state next year,” Nail said.

As the meet was turned around at their surprising win Naomi Moore, alumni,  expressed her feelings towards the team.

“It makes me happy because they are continuing the legacy and I miss competing. Life without swimming, it’s not horrible, but I do miss it a lot,” Moore said.

Since this year marks the fifth year of Ola’s swimming program, seniors that have been on the team since they were freshman say their goodbyes to the coaches and friends.

“I will miss the friendships I’ve made through this team because you don’t have classes with everybody so this is really how I connected with other people,” Hailey Craig, senior, said.

Closing out the season, team members and coaches have been more excited for next year and what they will accomplish.

“It’s tough to lose eight seniors, and that’s what is happening so we’re going to have sort of a rebuilding year next year, and we are gonna rebuild and reload,” Denson said.

About the Contributor
Jedea Cook, Writer

Jedea Christa Cook, freshmen, attends Ola High School. She was born May 14, 2004, in Hampton, Ga. She loves her two sisters Jada, a senior, and Jasmine,...