A Star in the Making

Jared+Brooks%2C+junior%2C+poses+for+his+feature+shot.+Brooks+worked+extremely+hard+over+the+years+and+his+feature+has+been+an+anticipated+one.+

A Star in the Making

Jared Brooks, junior, poses for his feature shot. Brooks worked extremely hard over the years and his feature has been an anticipated one.

Trenton Hill

Trenton Hill

Trenton Hill

Trenton Hill, Sports Editor

Jared Brooks, vocalist, baritone and tuba player, is a man of many talents. With his grandmother being a concert pianist and his father having a hobby for playing the trumpet, arts and entertainment have always played a big role in his life.

“[Playing instruments and singing have] been in my life for a long time, so it has been an expectation to succeed in it,” Brooks said.

Brooks began singing at the age of three and wishes to pursue a career in it. He plans on going into music education at the University of Georgia or Ole Miss while continuing his passion for singing on the side.

“Singing is something that I really love to do,” Brooks said.

Brooks takes singing very seriously and he even has a private voice coach, Roger Waters, to help take him to the next level. Brooks’ private sessions, along with hard work and dedication, have paid off, as he was selected for Georgia’s Governor’s Honors Program for his incredible singing ability.

“It was life-changing. There are no words that can really describe it. It was amazing. You are around people that sing and care as much as you do about it, and I met thirty-two people that changed my life forever. I wish I could go back every day and just be with them because it was just so amazing to be in that atmosphere,” Brooks said.

As Brooks continues to draw attention with his awe-inspiring voice, he remains humble and makes sure to thank the ones that helped him and believed in him along the way.

“My chorus teacher…she has been amazing. She has given me so many opportunities to sing and do what I love to do and I just realized that that was what I wanted to do with my life,” Brooks said.

“Jared has done several things, both in school and out of school, that have really improved not only the quality of his voice and how mature his voice is, but also his confidence. But when you become a musician as impressive as Jared, it is very easy to walk into any situation and know that you are doing the right things and making a lot of progress. I have seen his personality really shine in this room, and the things that we do in here, they bring out the best personalities in all the kids,” Mindy Forehand, chorus instructor said.

Brooks has unlimited potential.

“Between his natural talent and his work ethic, he can do anything he wants,”Forehand said.

Although Brooks stands out among many with his singing ability, his voice is not the only thing that will grab your attention. Brooks is also a member of the Ola Marching Band, where he plays the euphonium and the tuba, which he has played since sixth grade.

“His personality has developed. His leadership skills have also grown tremendously within the tuba section. I saw him on the field this year as a leader among our new members that they could really look to as an example of how to have fun, but how to get work done in band. With a student like Jared, I think that you are looking at him, and this is rare, having as much potential as he puts his effort into. Anything that he puts his mind to, he will do and I think that is really cool, so as far as potential, the sky’s the limit for him,”  Jamie McDonald, assistant director of bands, said.

Additionally, Brooks stays athletically involved with the wrestling team.

“Jared is a strong team player. He is always working hard in practice and supporting his teammates. He is juggling a lot. He has his hands in two to three activities, so we get a lot of borrowed time from him, but he has managed that pretty well. Between [band, chorus, and wrestling], he is a well-rounded, so I think he is going to do quite well with whichever pathway he decides to choose from a college perspective,” Joey DiNino, wrestling coach, said.

Approaching the end of his junior year and the beginning of his senior year, Brooks has his sights on bettering himself in every way possible. He has a very bright future and he has all of the tools needed to get him to the next level and on top of that, he has a great supporting cast standing behind him every step of the way.

About the Contributor
Trenton Hill, Writer

Photographer and writer, Trenton Hill ends his high school career as being a first year staff member on the publication. Hill transferred from Morrow High...