Calculating days leads to realization

Calculating days leads to realization

Bronlyn Holland, senior, poses for her first day of school picture when she was in kindergarten. Holland went from 13 years of school in the Ola community to now 72 days.

Stacey Holland

Stacey Holland

Stacey Holland

Bronlyn Holland, Editor in Chief

When I realized Tuesday, Jan. 8 was the first day of my last semester of high school, I cried. It sounds embarrassing, but it is the truth.

I knew then I only had 84 schools days left, which sounds like a lot, but it is not. It is really surreal to think about how I just had my last exam blocks of exam week and the next exams will be during regular class periods.

Some say January lasts forever, even though it is only 31 days, but for me it flew by. January has come and gone and February is right here.

Seniors, there are, give or take, 72 school days left until we graduate. We go from having 180 days of senior year to only 72. That is insane.

It is insane to know that the first day of school was six months ago. How can that go by so quickly? We are growing up.

We are growing up to where, for most, a month feels like a week, a week feels like a day, and a day feels like a hour. We can not slow down the time.

From here on out until May 24, we need to take it day by day. I tend to have trouble with this because I am a planner. I like to look ahead into the future, which is not a bad thing a lot of the time. However, I find myself looking at the days ahead and not the day I am living.

Yes, Jan. was sad but at the same time, it was exciting. I used Jan. as a month to get all of my priorities in line to stay ahead and now with Feb. here, golf season is as well. 

Bruce Fowler
Bronlyn Holland, senior, poses for her senior pictures on her favorite tee box at Georgia National Golf Course. Holland took her first swing with a golf club in eighth grade.

Golf season speeds this entire process up for me. It is something I have looked forward to for the past three years and I now only have one more season left.

I just put my poms away after my first and last cheerleading season ever. When one thing ends, another begins.

As I continue into this semester, I just have to remember that things will be ending soon, but new things will take their place. It is actually hard to swallow that.

Just thinking back on the first semester and how well it went, I am hoping for the same amount of positivity and more. Senior year is probably my favorite year by far and I am only halfway through.

I need to keep 84 days in my head. We do not have four years of high school left. This is it.