Female athletes step into the light

Female athletes step into the light

Shailynn runs the ball down the field for the first time of the 2019 season. Shailynn has been playing for OHS for 5 seasons.

Danett Rice

Danett Rice

Danett Rice

Hayden Kimble, Staff Writer

The rate of female athletic participation increases quicker than any other time which allows The National Women in Sports Day (NWSD) to happen, a day that is focused solely on recognizing and encouraging female athletes across the nation, to be able to happen. Founded in 1986, NWSD gives female athletes the opportunity to be recognized for the hard work, dedication and accomplishments.

“[Our goal is] to bring the light to the females in the school that are doing more than one sport and are working year-round in athletics,” Chelsea McCreary, Swim and Cheer coach at Ola High School said.

NWSD provides female athletes with a chance to be recognized for their work ethics, drive, and capabilities. With the same level of competition as male athletes, females are no less competitive than the males. Between the athletes and the coaches, the work put into practice to prepare for competition and games is meticulously done.

“Our school provides our girls with the opportunity to be prepared to compete beyond the regional level,” Ansley Dill, Softball coach at Ola High School said.

This year, the NWSD has branded themselves with the slogan “Leading Her Forward” in an attempt to encourage female athletes to achieve excellence and constantly find a way to better themselves in their sports. With the constant determination required from the female athletes across the nation, a day to recognize them is well earned.

“This year we are honoring students that truly embody the female athlete here at Ola,” McCreary said.

With sports becoming more open to female teams, NWSD provides an opportunity for female athletes to be recognized in the sports community.

“I think that boy sports already get most of the attention. They get the crowds. They get the press, and our girls’ athletics are actually some of our most successful athletic programs here,” Stacey Schmuhl, said.

Many Schools across the nation are beginning to recognize their female athletes and their accomplishments. With this movement taking place, athletes gain opportunities to be recognized easier.

“We decided to recognize our athletes on a small level to start this year and we hope to build on [the NWSD] it to make it better for the future,” Schmuhl said.

NWSD provides female athletes with an opportunity to be able to look back and remember the hard work and dedication, they put into their sports to get where they are today.