Seniors opt out of non-essential math classes

Gary Steagald, junior, finishes his homework during fourth period. Students discovered, such  McDonald, the advantages and disadvantages to opting out of a last year of math.

Gary Steagald, junior, finishes his homework during fourth period. Students discovered, such McDonald, the advantages and disadvantages to opting out of a last year of math.

Maria Adams

Maria Adams

Maria Adams

Maria Adams, Copy Editor

During middle school, students, with the help of parents and teachers, made the decision to take a high school level math class based upon their Milestone scores and other circumstances. The headstart on classes allow students to take AP Calculus or AP Statistics their senior year; however, the class also gave students the option to skip their senior year of math even though the guidance counselors suggest they take it.

“If they really are insistent on not taking that 5th math, they need to have a conversation with their counselor,” Amy Simpkins, guidance counselor, said.

Students, including Maia McDonald, senior, have opted out of taking their fifth year of math classes. She has taken AP Language Composition, AP Literature, and all AP history course, and she believes she is just as in the competition in comparison to other students who have taken AP math classes.

“I decided to call around to colleges I was interested in… the official transcript shows that I passed and what I got on the EOCs,” McDonald said.

She called multiple schools and formed a list of schools that accepted having only four years of math. Although, according to Simpkins, students that do not take the class might not qualify for certain colleges.

“That doesn’t make any sense because there are kids who take only regular English classes throughout out their high school career but get into Georgia Tech so why would not it be the same for classes that focus more on liberal arts such as the humanities that focus on English,” McDonald said.

Students specializing in certain fields are allowed to select their classes as long as they have the credits to graduate. In senior year, students decide which college they will be attending, the major they plan on selecting, and lifestyle choices. Students are not specifically told by counselors this information because counselors believe that this pathway is not beneficial for them.

“As counselors, we feel like the parents should still be involved in their child’s education whether it high school or college,” Simpkins said.

Students must have a parent signature to take route in their high school career. However, there are students that were left uninformed about their decision

“I didn’t know…they told us we have four math credits but they told us that we have to take AP Calc or AP Stat, but they pushed us towards AP Calc,” Kristen Walsh, junior, said.

While counselors stated concerns about HOPE GPA, Walsh believes that take an extra science class will help her GPA.

“My GPA will lower because if I take AP Calc I will fail. I had struggles with pre-calc,” Walsh said.

Walsh does not want to take AMDM because she wants a class full of people with the same dedication to their education.

Tucker MacFarlane, junior, currently takes honors pre-calculus, but he prepares himself for the challenge of AP Calculus.

“I am taking it for the experience of calculus. I want to go to KSU for mechatronics, a form of engineering. Engineering is a heavily math-based so having an extra credit for math will help out,” MacFarlane said.

The choices rising-seniors are making can help set their paths in the future, so students should take their time and make informed decisions.

About the Contributor
Maria Adams, Copy Editor

Animated, neighborly, and resourceful, Maria Adams, junior, is one of the girls you do not want to miss meeting. Born on Dec. 20, 2001, into a moving military...