Likes, followers, and fitness: Workout Influencers motivate through Instagram

When at Gold’s Gym, Grace Woodcock and Tyler Simmons, 11 are usually seen lifting weights together. Woodcock’s journey kicked off when Simmons started inviting her to the gym to workout.

Photo Courtesy of Grace Woodcock

Photo Courtesy of Grace Woodcock

Photo Courtesy of Grace Woodcock

Ashley Edwards, Photo Editor

When Grace Woodcock, junior, started her workout journey in early 2018, she looked for inspiration on exercises and diets scrolling through Instagram pages. Now, Woodcock has her own Instagram page with more than 300 followers filled with workout videos and tips.

Woodcock started working out in 2018 when she stopped playing soccer and her boyfriend, Tyler Simmons, junior, invited her to the gym. It was there in Gold’s Gym where her journey began.

“I was playing soccer and then I got really burnt out with it and Tyler works out so he kind of said ‘come to the gym with me’ and I was like ‘okay’,” Woodcock said.

Simmons, being a physique competitor himself, gladly offered to advise her. Since then, he has seen a lot of growth in Woodcock.

“[I helped her understand] how to eat right or better than she was and she knew how to eat right, but I helped her with the portions. And then the form and each body part- why one body part works this way and why one body part works the other way,” Simmons said.

Simmons also has his own exercise account where he promotes healthy living and his physique competition journey. He started when he was young and began competing at 16.

“I work out most of the time and eat clean and do competitions against other guys. That’s basically it, you get on stage and pose against each other,” Simmons said.

Now, with working out being the way Woodcock spends her time five to six days a week, she has set workouts for those days. Most of these she shares on her Instagram account.

Certain days I’ll work, like, a certain body part, some days I’ll work arms or some days I’ll work legs. I look up stuff on Instagram from girls I follow and do the workouts that they do,” Woodcock said.

On days where Woodcock doesn’t feel motivated, she feels that it is good to have Simmons lift her up. She refers to him as her “sidekick”. With this motivation, she is able to help out others with positivity as well.

“Next time you train, make sure to push harder because you may be the reason someone else chooses not to give up. You are your own inspiration and for others. Energy is contagious,” Woodcock said on an Instagram post.

Photo Courtesy of Grace Woodcock
Woodcock shares her healthy meals on her Instagram page to help others with eating right. “A pre-workout [meal] would be a shake or fruit. After, I would say a lot of protein. Like chicken and a healthy carb to mix it up,” Woodcock said.

Woodcock’s page is going exactly as she planned. She gets to interact with other workout gurus, look at them for inspiration and have others look to her for guidance.

“That’s what I wanted when I made the account, I wanted for people to, like, be encouraged by it,” Woodcock said.

Both influencers take working out and eating right very seriously. Simmons refers to it as “a lifestyle”.

“It’s a lifestyle. There’s a lot of kids partying and doing all that, trashing their bodies. I’d rather take care of mine because you only get one, might as well take care of it,” Simmons said.

Woodcock wants her followers to know that it is okay to ask for help and to look for inspiration in other people. She wants to continue lifting others up through her page and grow in her fitness journey.

“Never give up and be patient,” Woodcock said, as advice for beginners.

Woodcock’s handle is @gwoodcockfit and Simmons’ is @tylersimmons_physique on Instagram.

About the Writer
Ashley Edwards, Photo Editor

Ashley Edwards, a dedicated third-year journalist, was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on August 20, 2002. She started as a Marching Band Nerd but now...