Chaotic societies leads to emptiness

20 foot mural emphasizes emotions in witnesses.

Chaotic societies leads to emptiness

Rosemary Delamater, junior, gathers intriguing thoughts on her notepad for Jackson Pollock’s Mural. Pollock created his 20-foot mural in 1943 and Peggy Guggenheim commissioned his painting for her New York apartment.

Bronlyn Holland

Bronlyn Holland

Bronlyn Holland

Bronlyn Holland, Editor in Chief

Guests of all ages have the opportunity to witness the Jackson Pollock Mural at the Columbia Museum of Art in two galleries: one with the mural and the other with the history and techniques Pollock used to create this marvelous creation from Dec. 5, 2018 to May 19, 2019. The 20-foot painting innovated the destiny of modern day art. Pollock’s masterpiece traveled from different countries including England, Spain, Germany and as well as carefully selected museums in America.

What makes this 20-foot mural intriguing is Peggy Guggenheim commissioned his artwork in her New York apartment. The painting was originally supposed to be painted on Guggenheim’s entry hall but because she was renting the apartment, the painting was created on a canvas. While it might have seemed as an inconvenience in 1943 to paint on a canvas, the artwork received the right amount of recognition from people all over the world.

While in the exhibit, I noticed all the different swirl patterns on the mural. To me, the masterpiece showed society and the swirls are people. Everyone is moving in all different directions and life is nonstop. I also received the vibe of sadness from the use of dark colors on the canvas.

Bronlyn Holland
Guests find their spots that speaks to them on Jackson Pollock’s Mural. Many guests felt happiness when witnessing his artwork.

Even though I sensed a sad/depression vibe, the guests around seemed quite happy and curious about the work as a whole. Guests pointed to different spots on Pollock’s work that spoke to them. It was almost like Pollock wanted his audience to have certain spots speak to them and not the entirety.

Pollock used more than 25 oil paints to capture the tone of his masterpiece. Pigments ranged from bright reds to whites and blacks. This also added to the chaotic vibe in the artwork. For me, the bright colors represented the daily activities and obligations that individuals must complete in society, while the dark blues and blacks represented the feelings and emptiness of those individuals because they must complete those items to be considered “part of society”.

The exhibit as a whole has a tranquilize feel. To have a work that shows chaos but makes people happy and have a reclined feel is an oxymoron. Most of the time, most will think a chaotic piece will create chaos, but the Columbia Museum of Art’s Jackson Pollock Mural exhibit does the exact opposite.

Those who wish to experience Pollock’s masterpiece can visit Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 5pm. For individuals who wish to gather more information about Jackson Pollock Mural can visit https://www.columbiamuseum.org/view/jackson-pollock-mural .

Originally published for the Southern Interscholastic Press Association’s On the Spot Review Contest

About the Contributor
Bronlyn Holland, Editor in Chief

Bronlyn Holland, a well-organized and kind-hearted senior of many talents, enters her fourth and final year of High School here at Ola. Holland has concluded...