“Mural” Makes a 21st Century Comeback

Ashley Wilhelm

A view from the middle of the piece. I found the hints of yellow to be intriguing.

Ashley Wilhelm, Managing Editor

The Columbia Museum of Art searched for a piece to fill its empty walls and decided to add “Mural” by Jackson Pollock to their collection. Painted in 1943 over the course of the summer, it depicts the demolished attitudes of citizens at this time.

My first impression of the piece was an abstract mess of colors but, upon further research, I learned it is so much more. Similar to America’s livelihood during the time period, the impressive size of the piece is overwhelming. “Mural” was meant to cover Pollock’s commissioner’s wall (including dimensions of 81 1/4″ x 19′ 10”).

The piece was painted strictly on canvas because Pollock’s commissioner rented out her home and thought she might move out one day. Pollock redefined American art with “Mural”, combining easel painting with an abstract style on a traditional mural.

The dynamic of the piece pulls the viewers in as though it were alive. There is no possibility of glancing over the “Mural” due to its vibrant colors and many characteristics SUCH AS.

I view “Mural” as both chaotic and quiet. I saw serenity in the background figures as though they were hiding from reality and I saw complete disorder in the many intertwined hues. If you are traveling to The Columbia Muesum of Art,“Mural” cannot be missed. The museum is open 7 days a week, from 10am-5pm. For more information on the piece as well as other details check out https://www.columbiamuseum.org/visit.

Ashley Wilhelm
Students admire the Mural from afar. The piece was commissioned by Peggy Guggenheim.