Math Team is “less than” perfect

Nathaniel Grayson, junior, Devin Head, senior, Logan Slicker, junior, Emily Crawford, senior, and Bailey Bair, senior, hold up their certificates of participation post-competition. The math team received no awards at the competition, but received experience as they walked away.

Trenton Hill, Sports Editor

The math club attended the yearly math competition on Friday, March 8th at Griffin R.E.S.A. which is usually held in January, but it was postponed this year due to weather. The math contest held at Griffin R.E.S.A. is a regional competition offered to the Butts, Fayette, Henry, Lamar, Newton, Pike, Spalding and Upson county school systems.

The team started their day off leaving the campus at 7:30 a.m in hopes of bringing home a trophy and experience. Although the Mustangs had high expectations due to their win at Luella High, things did not go exactly as planned.

“I was impressed. They all went out there, they all had fun, they tried their best. We need to do a little more practice before we get into the competition next year. The lack of practice hurt us,” Laura Coons, math teacher, said.

Despite their shortcoming in the competition, there was one participant who really stood out.

Although the Mustangs did not place top three, they did have a few very good bright spots. One of them just so happened to be none other than Bailey Bair, senior.

The outstanding performance by Blair was not the first time that she managed to stand out among the competition. Blair also won an award at the math competition that was held at Luella. 

“There were a lot of really good teams there and they only told us places first through third and we did not place, so I am not sure, but I felt confident in my answers. It was kind of a lot of pressure because at the last competition I placed, so I felt like I needed to place, but it was okay that I did not. I am glad that Mrs. Coons believes in me,” Bair said.

Returning to school empty-handed, unable to attain any medals, the Mustangs held their heads high after their performance.

Emily Crawford, senior, and Bailey Bair, senior, pose for a photo at the math competition. Crawford and Bair represented Ola by wearing their fanny packs on International Fanny Pack Day.

“It was really tough for us because it is hard for Ola to compete in a situation like that when we have only been going for a month, like that is our second math competition ever, and all of these other schools have Varsity and Junior Varsity math teams, but it was a good experience just to go and to learn how to get better next year. The medals are good motivation to keep going, but that is not personally why I go,” Logan Slicker, junior, said.

After the abrupt end to their competition, the team is already working towards making changes for next year’s competitions, aiming for different results and trying to increase in numbers.

“We definitely need to do a little bit of practice before next year. Individually they all did fine, but we had not practiced any of the team ciphering, so if we can just get a little more practice there, they will do much better next year,” Coons said.

Bair also had a few words of encouragement for all of the upcoming math team members.

“The few juniors that I worked with were really good, so I would tell them to be confident in their answers and to just keep practicing,” Bair said.

Due to the inconsistency of the math team for the Mustangs over the years, there are a few gaps that still need to be filled as far as preparing for the competition goes, but they aim to build on their efforts and shoot for a better result.

“Definitely knowing what the competition was, because I did not know how it worked before I got there, and practicing stuff that I had forgotten from years ago…It is just learning how to play the game,” Slicker said.

The next math competition hosted at Griffin R.E.S.A. is scheduled for January 2020. The Mustangs are determined to progress and perform at a higher quality than this year.

About the Writer
Trenton Hill, Writer

Photographer and writer, Trenton Hill ends his high school career as being a first year staff member on the publication. Hill transferred from Morrow High...